Keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I'm thinkin about getting a few cornies. Im getting ready to do my first brew and I think I might keg it. Im lookin around on ebay and such,a nd I have a couple of questions:
Do I want ball lock, or pin lock?
what other equipment would I need to keg a 5 gallon batch?

You want ball lock (personal preference). Unless you are going to prime it and let it carbonate naturally (which I recommend against), you will also need CO2 tank, regulator, hoses, tap, and either a fridge to keep it cool or some method to cool it while serving.

I just like the feel of the ball lock ones. The ball lock are like air connect hoses (ever used air tools?) and the pin lock ones actually have a piece of metal that has to go up into a slot (that you have to line up properly) and then quarter turn. I like being able to just pull up on the sleeve and push down on the connection and then release the sleeve.

Believe there are more ball-lock units floating around that pin as well. Wasn't pin only used by Coke?

Ball locks are much more common. I haven't worked with pin locks since the early '70s and none of the kegs I've seen for sale in California or Oregon were pin locks. Ball locks are easier to work with and much less likely to spray you if there is a lot of pressure in the keg. A ball lock is either on or off. With the pin lock, the time between pushing the connector on and turning it to the lock position can be really messy.

Finally, with the ball lock, you can rotate the connectors & make hose routing easier.

You can't convert a pin lock keg to a ball lock or vv, so once you start, your stuck.

if i had an option, i would have gotten ball locks. but they were for the right price, so you get what you pay for.

all i've ever used is pin lock, and have had no problems with them. my local HBS sells both, but i think they suggested pin lock. you'll need the gas in tubing, regulator, fridge to convert to a keggerator, taps, shanks, etc. go to www.northernbrewer.com, or www.austinhomebrew.com and luck at their kegging supplies and set-ups. it'll give you an idea of $$$ and what all you'll need.

My brew "mentor" got 4 free pin locks from the coke man and a lot of free fittings and such. So we use pin locks in our setup.

I like them b/c they are idiot proof. 2 notches for gas in and 3 notches for beverage out. I do favor Pepsi over Coke, but I like being able to get parts and swap kegs with my mentor if I need to.

I ordered 3 pin locks from Adventures in Homebrewing and got the best of both worlds. It was a ball lock converted to a pin. I have pressure relief valves on all of them and I can fit two side by side in my Sanyo 4912

Here is a link to an article I wrote on kegging. It gives the basics and should be read before you purchase anything.

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/Kegging101-1.html

BTW, the biggest difference with ball locks and pin locks is that ball locks are slightly smaller in diameter and slightly taller than pin locks. If you are tight on horizontal space, go with pin locks, if vertical space is an issue, you might want to consider pin locks. Ball locks are definitely more common.

Prosit!

Back