Back sweeting wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBrewing

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of wine, blueberry pomegranate, from frozen concentrate. I have just stabilized it using potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. I want to sweeten the wine and was wondering when to do this, before aging the wine or after aging and right before bottling? Also what is the best way to sweeten, making a simple syrup or using more frozen concentrate?

You can do it now or before bottling, either one. I have done it both ways. Sometimes when I want a selection I backsweeten at bottling time. I take out several 1/2 cups of wine and progressively sweeten them to see which I like and to see how much sweetener to put in each bottle. Sometimes I use white sugar and sometimes a mixture of sugar and concentrate. It is a little more work this way but you can leave some dry, some semi sweet and some sweet if that's what your looking for.

On the other hand, if you know you want it a certain sweetness, it is easier to just rack it onto sugar or concentrate and either let it age more or bottle it. Oh, and I do like to make a thick simple syrup as it mixes with the wine.

I like to sweeten mine before too much aging. I have sweetened some clear batches only to cloud them up again. In my experience, the taste is not affected either way. I've made this concentrate wine several times, and sweeten with sugar if 3 cans per gallon is used. I draw some wine out, heat it w/sugar and add back in as not to dilute the batch. Good advice from yeastluvr too.

MoBrewing said:
I am making my first batch of wine, blueberry pomegranate, from frozen concentrate. I have just stabilized it using potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. I want to sweeten the wine and was wondering when to do this, before aging the wine or after aging and right before bottling? Also what is the best way to sweeten, making a simple syrup or using more frozen concentrate?

I add a simple syrup solution after the wine has cleared. It's probably a good idea to let it age a bit before bottling.

Back