WANTED: Vacuum sealer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm growing my own hops this year and I'd like to get a vacuum sealer. I'm not rich and if I could make one I would( that would be fun!!) so I'm looking for an economical vacuum sealer. If anyone has a suggestion on which one I should get let me know. With my luck I'd buy one and the bags would not be available or be extremely expensive. Plus any tips on hop sealing and storage. Thanks in advance!!!

I bought a cheap one a few years back that worked on most plastic bags, but I was using the heavy plastic ones and it eventually burnt it out.
I have since bought a foodsaver and it is fantastic. I still seal grain using my heavy bags but it can take it. If I have to buy bags for it ....well they are expensive but they are the best.

First off, don't waste your money on a dollar-store knockoff. Just get yourself a Foodsaver. Otherwise you'll end up like booboo, with a burnt-out knockoff.

Second, the bags are always gonna be pricey---they're not cheap to manufacture - but you can get them in bulk at Sam's Club...and if you're careful, you can reuse them, especially if you're using them just for hops.

I've had a Foodsaver for almost 9 years now, I think. It still works great. I haven't had occasion to use it for hops or grain since I'm currently buying those piecemeal, but would use it without hesitation.

Try looking on your local craigslist or freecycle. I'm sure there's a cheap or even free one out there just waiting for you.

Back