What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to get me a starter of San Francisco lager yeast (wlp810) initiated. Also going to sanitize and prepare to bottle a pilsner sMasH.

Tomorrow I will bottle a pale ale, while Sunday I will brew a Mexican lager.

Changed out the collection ball on my fast ferment before leaving for two weeks. Also set the temp of the fermentation chamber to cold crash is while I'm away. The first batch in the fermentation chamber is almost in the keg and in the log book. :)

I killed the keg in the keezer so that I can use it as a ferment chamber for the next few weeks.
I could use another freezer and controller...

Bottle cleaning in prep for bottling day tomorrow.

Edit: De-labeling as well :(

IMG_20170701_195910.jpg

Transferred my portion of 55g of Scottish Ale to kegs for cold crash prior to adding to a Jack Daniels barrel after emptying the 55g of RIS that's been aging for 13 months.
Cleaned carboys and 2 kegs plus transfer equipment.

Poured bottle dregs from 2 Orvals (and half the bottle) into my newly finished Saison keg... hoping to kill some of the bitterness via fermenting some remaining sugars and give it some funk. Bring on the funk!!

Kegged up my Smoke on the Bastard tonight. Hope to have some ready to have my brewpub buddy try on Saturday. Couldn't get it to come down lower than 1.020 from 1.072 but the flavor is great. It will be a good beer to sip on, lots of malt flavor and the smoke is sublime. I had considered dry hopping with some Columbus but decided not.

Just bought some supplies for tomorrow (brewing a saison) and some odds and ends for future brews. Getting all ingredients and water together so I can hit the ground brewing!

Later I am bottling my 3rd iteration of Da Yooper's pale ale.

What's the microwave for? Popcorn?
For heating up water for gelatin. It's a spare microwave we had in storage so might as well use it!

When I set up this brewery I wanted 100% of the things I use to be in the brewery and not have to go steal from the kitchen or other places...

Kal

For heating up water for gelatin. It's a spare microwave we had in storage so might as well use it!

When I set up this brewery I wanted 100% of the things I use to be in the brewery and not have to go steal from the kitchen or other places...

Kal

Nice. Btw my Kal clone is still running strong,6 years old.

Back on topic. Cleaned 8 kegs. Bad habit of letting the dirty ones pile up. Also installed hop tubes into 2 kegs for free range keg hopping.

I brushed some clear lacquer on the collar to the keezer I made on the 4th, bought a step drill to make the hole for the element in my boil kettle, cleaned a keg, bought the fittings to use a water filter to filter my last batch, and got a couple of new filter elements too. It was my plan to filter the brew tonight but I discovered that I had no teflon tape, so tomorrow, the first thing I do for beer is a trip to the hardware store.

Just finished phase one of the garage reorganization with the new kegerator. I still have to figure out how I'm going to attach the manifold to the inside (don't have any drill bits for metal), tried extra strength double back tape, duct tape (it fixes everything else, right?), can't get it to stay. So off to Home ripoff. Was going to go today anyway because my cheapie pumps broke off where the screws attach to the base, so I'm going to get a couple of PVC conduit straps and attach them on the same square board. And it never fails, my one and only co2 tank is about to crap out and there isn't anywhere to exchange around here on a Sunday. The two I have on tap have enough carb to pour for a day or two if I don't mind them being a tad flatter than normal. Still have to clean two kegs and dry hop my latest Pliny clone as well. Beautiful day for it!!

I assembled my oxygenator with parts from two local stores and an online retailer, then drank a beer (Grolsch) because I need the bottle for my next batch (in primary), a big Belgian ale in the style of Piraat...

A simple brewery upgrade: Installed a stainless steel magnetic knife rack (IKEA 602.386.45) for various tools!

19764602_448459002194195_8446306444625575936_n.jpg

19764532_121496928368444_8982525569568604160_n.jpg

19765134_1477786762305951_7891089111669276672_n.jpg

Kal
Wow. I thought this was supposed to be a hobby... I think your amateur status is in jeopardy with all that stainless laying about!

Seriously, very impressive. Expect a visit from ATFE sometime soon.

Cool rack you got there Kal! Well today I put four kegs on the keg washer with some PBW, that needed to be cleaned. Two of them then got sanitized and then I kegged 10 gallons of my house IPA that was ready to be kegged. I also made a yeast starter for Friday's brew day.

John

Starting up some wlp530. Have to brew ten gallons of the Westvleteren 12 clone. Called my lhbs to reserve the ingredients necessary.

I love my lhbs...

Got some water filters and keg fittings from Amazon today. Tomorrow I'm getting beer line and clamps, and going to my favorite HBS (Jasper's in Amherst, NH) for ingredients for two brews.

Going to keg up my Pliny clone tonight, in hopes of enjoying it this weekend. Also will finally start pricing out a plate chiller; I was helping my boss out last night by running the taproom, and my husband had dropped by for a beer. My boss convinced him that I need a plate chiller STAT. Yay me!!

Washed/sanitized a set of swing-top bottles in prep for bottling my Black Pearl Ale. Here's hoping the 3787 didn't kill itself off in the 112-point attenuation...

Kegged my first ever cold crash batch. Couldn't believe how clear my stout was. I'm counting the hours until this deliriously delicious-looking batch is ready to drink.

Made 2L of apple purée and racked my apple beer on top of it. Taking stock on grains and other materials next.

Might bottle my kölsch tomorrow if I have enough bottles. If not, it can wait until next weekend.

Big day today! Gotta make a trip to the lhbs for a final supply run in order to brew tonight. Also moving all of my equipment to my brother's porch to set up for brewing. That in itself could be exhausting.

We decided to brew at night due to the intense heat this time of year.

Installed an RO system undersink, now starts the day or two of bleeding off the DO and purging the tank twice before it's drinkable. Instantly 70ppm TDS lower but my pH spiked up to 8.8.. my guess is the high DO and first filtration of the membrane but could be a couple of other factors too

View attachment 1500237875661.jpg

Finally filtered my APA this morning, which was my first time filtering ever. After that I replumbed my keezer with proper beer tubing, tested everything for leaks, and finally poured from all three taps.

Bottled 2 gallons of my hard apple cider yesterday, one with dry hops and one with crown apple soaked cinammon stick and organic vanilla extract, both tasted great, can't wait to try them carbed in a couple weeks!

It was yesterday, but I added one lb of Candi syrup (golden, srm 5) to my Saison. This should be ready to bottle this weekend.

Back