ShockTop Clone or close

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadows69

Reaction score
ShockTop Clone

ABV: 4.98%

5.5 Gallon Batch at 80% Efficiency
4.5 lbs 2-row
4.5 lbs Wheat Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40L
4 oz Orange Honey (last 5mins of boil)
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
1.5 oz Hallertauer hops at 60 min
.8 oz crushed Coriander at 15 mins
1.5 oz sweet orange peel at 15 mins
.5 oz lemon zest at 15 mins
.5 oz lime zest at 15 mins
1 whirfloc tablet
S-05 Yeast or 1056

Simple recipe 45:45 split of Wheat to 2-row is standard, the 10% oats add a nice mouthfeel to the beer. Just a touch of bittering hops with no aroma hops to keep it fairly mellow, the key flavors are the coriander and orange peel that goes in with 15 minutes to boil. Any clean fermenting yeast will do (s-04, s-05 nottingham etc.) I don't really detect any yeast flavor in either of those beers the main flavor is the orange and coriander. Don't use a Belgian Wit or any other flavorful yeast unless you want the flavors those yeasts are known for giving off.
I now changed The Lemon , Lime , and Coriander to the Secondary (Dry hop so to speak)

It sounds damn tasty to me. I was thinking of doing something like this for this summer, lots of fruity/citrus goodness. What I wonder is you stated "Tasting Notes: Still needs some work" Could you expand on the "still needs work" part? Later you said you changed lemon, lime, and coriander all to secondary. What are you hoping to change/add by doing this?

Thanks!

Changing the lemon, lime, coriander to the secondary gave it more flavor. I guess what I'm getting at is don't think of this brew as a clone. Its good and different but no clone of shocktop.

Brewing this recipe, with a few of my own modifications, this Sunday. Sounds like a nice brew, can't wait for the delicious results.

Thanks for the recipe, and happy brewing!

Slainte :mug:

Keep us updated on the progress. This was one of the first all grain brewers I ever did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back