Problems with Coopers Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewings

Reaction score
Just started homebrewing with the coopers kit. Every dingle batch that i seem to make seems over carbonated, and very very syrupy tasting. The beer ends up tasting much more like concentrated champagne. I follow every direction to the last detail, but am having no luck. I tried the IPA kit, and the Brown Ale kit, both with no luck.

I saw a few threads that stated that the carbonation drops add too much carbonation, so I will try to modify for next batch, but has anyone had any success with these? I am wondering if i should just try my first partial mash?

Thanks in advance!

How long/strong is your fermentation, it sounds to me like fermentation is incomplete. This would explain the sweet taste and extra carbonation.

I graduated to all-grain brewing by doing partial mashes instead of adding the corn sugar to those very kits. It will drastically improve the quality of the brew, but there's really only so much you can do with them. They are an excellent learning tool.

If I were you, I'd buy on of the extract + steeping grains kits from one of the reputable online suppliers (Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, Midwest, Williams Brewing). I also had pretty good success with Brewers' Best kits when I started. The kits are great for learning the process, but there can be a significant difference in quality. Try and find one that includes dry malt extract (DME), as well - that can make a big improvement, especially if the kit's been around for a while (DME is much more shelf-stable than liquid extract).

Thanks, I will look into those kits.

I am fairly sure the fermentation is complete; I make sure to get matching hydrometer readings before bottling. I think i am going to cut back on the carbonation drops they provide to see if I can get the carbonation down a bit.

So much to learn!

I occasionally use these because they make for a fast brew. I use the Cooper's can and add a couple pounds of DME instead of corn sugar (sometimes add MD depending on style). I don't add grains or hops, nor do I boil the prehopped extract. Sad to say, but these "cheaters" have made some of my best brews, not too sweet or syrupy. I like the cervesa, wheat and dark ale styles. I have tried both the carb drops and priming with corn sugar, and haven't noticed much difference. I get good carbonation using the drops but they are a bit of a hassle so I usually prime the whole batch with corn sugar. BTW, I helped a friend with his first batch ever and we tried a BrewMart can (whatever it's called) and it was horrible.

Back