Barrel Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
Considering buying a barrel in the 10 gal range.

Anyone have any input here, pros and cons?

Any particular vendors to look for?

I plan on using my carboy(s) until Christmas, and thought I'd start the thread a little early. :cross:

In my wine cellar space is limited so I use oak powder...at rate of 2 to 4 oz per gal.

They seem a little pricey...and I tried to search for customer reviews on the internet and couldn't find anything...so I would search there site to see who there main customers are.

Additionally here is an article from winebussiness.com that has a complete listing of barrel manufactures at the bottom: http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticle&dataId=70703 might help with your search!

I use these guys...good product, free logo engraving: http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowDepartments.aspx

There might be some cheaper ones out there, but 6 months ago they were the cheapest I could find and the quality is outstanding!

Reply from vendor:

Thank you! - Margaret
Barrelsonline Team - www.barrelsonline.com
Subject: Mail from BARRELSONLINE: Shipping costs
Could you tell me what a: Oak Barrel - 13 gallon (50 liter) Black Hoop, would cost to ship to zip code 10962.
Thanks,
http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=56
Hello,
Shipping for a 50 liter barres is $50 USD please advice

"advice" was he/his spelling lol,

So, is the shipping (50) and cost of barrel (160) = (210) worth it, the truth is I think it's cheap, provided the barrel is sound.

Any input?

$210 for 2 or 3 batches of wine seems a bit high to me...not including the cost of the ingrediants.

Yeah, I know that barrel life is about 4 years, but I am thinking 3,5,6,6,6,6,6,6 (7 batch min)

And, you bring up a good point: Has anyone used a barrel for longer than 4 years? If so, what were your results?

I thought barrel life was by the batch, not by time.

Here is an excerpt I found online...

"Oak Barrel Influence - the basics
Subtle flavors are imparted to wine as it ages in the barrel. Different types of oak (French and American being the two most widely used) from different regions (Limousin, Nevers, Troncais, etc.) give differing levels of flavor to the wine (most often described as vanilla).
Wine, as it rests in the barrel, goes through subtle chemical changes, resulting in greater complexity and a softening of the harsh tannins and flavors present at the end of fermentation. The effect of specific wood on different wines is the subject of great discussion and experimentation among wine makers throughout the world.
A barrel essentially does two things: it allows a very slow introduction of oxygen into the wine; and it imparts the character of the wood into the wine. (This diminishes as a barrel gets older. You usually get 50% of the extract that a barrel has on the first use, 25% the second and less after that.)"

I thought barrel life was by the batch, not by time.

Here is an excerpt I found online...

"Oak Barrel Influence - the basics
Subtle flavors are imparted to wine as it ages in the barrel. Different types of oak (French and American being the two most widely used) from different regions (Limousin, Nevers, Troncais, etc.) give differing levels of flavor to the wine (most often described as vanilla).
Wine, as it rests in the barrel, goes through subtle chemical changes, resulting in greater complexity and a softening of the harsh tannins and flavors present at the end of fermentation. The effect of specific wood on different wines is the subject of great discussion and experimentation among wine makers throughout the world.
A barrel essentially does two things: it allows a very slow introduction of oxygen into the wine; and it imparts the character of the wood into the wine. (This diminishes as a barrel gets older. You usually get 50% of the extract that a barrel has on the first use, 25% the second and less after that.)"

This I did not know.

I mean, I knew that the oak flavor becomes more subtle as the barrel is used, but not to the extent that you've illustrated.

"A barrel essentially does two things: it allows a very slow introduction of oxygen into the wine; and it imparts the character of the wood into the wine. (This diminishes as a barrel gets older. You usually get 50% of the extract that a barrel has on the first use, 25% the second and less after that.)"

Diminishes > 0, I would be interested in any specific info regarding the rate at which ability to introduce oxygen is effected.

But, lets assume your information is spot on (and I have no reason to doubt it) the barrel would loose its "oakiness" after 3-4 batches however it would still keep its ability to breathe (which will always be more than a carboy :p) which is a reason in itself to use one (I would think).

Once the "oakiness" has diminished we can introduce oak chips as you would if you had used a carboy.

Whats do you think?

I think you can use oak pretty much forever if you maintain it well. Over time the pores get clogged and there is less oxidation, as well as less oak flavour. For winemakers this means the advantage of the barrel is lost, but if you just want it as a storage vessel it should be ok. You have to rinse it thoroughly each time you rack or empty it, and keep a citric acid/so2 solution in it when not being used. Wineries use high pressure hoses with an attachment to spray all around the inside of the barrel.
Barrels are the best way to make good quality wine, no-one has discovered a better method, but wineries use bigger barrels, smaller ones will give more oak and faster oxidation in their first couple of seasons, so you need to test regularly or the oak flavour will overwhelm your wine. You need topping-up wine in reserve because there is a fair bit of evaporation and you have to keep them filled to the brim by regular topping up, otherwise the wine will spoil.

I've been searching around for some good threads on using oak barrels. There does not appear to be much out there. I was just given a 5 gallon french oak barrel for my 40th birthday present.

I've got a wine kit in primary and can't wait to try this out. Does anyone know of a good resource for using barrels.

Seams to be some different opinions on dry vs wet storage. Perhaps I just need to keep operations going ;0-)

I would be curious to know who many weeks / months I should age it during it's first use.

Thanks

Back