2nd brew - True Brew Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjjn

Reaction score
Got a Coopers DIY Kit for Christmas and just followed the direction on that. Smells and looks good after bottling last night (3 weeks in Fermenter).

So I picked up a True Brew Irish Stout kit from my local Home Brew Supply for my 2nd batch. After reading many posts I have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help out with so I can get the most out of this kit.

Here are their directions http://brewgadgets.com/BrewingInstructions/irishstout.htm

1 - For the Grain steeping; should I put the grains in cold and heat up to temperature like I've read on the forums or heat water to boiling turn off heat and add grain.

2 - It calls for a 20-30 minute boil. Should i add just the DME and the hops and then add the LME towards the end to prevent scorching and discoloring like I've been reading here, or add it all at once per the directions.

Thanks for any suggestions with the directions and any suggested additions to this brew. And if you've done this kit let me know how it came out. I hope to get to it tomorrow night so I can open a few on St. Pattys

You don't wanna boil the water for steeping your grains... you probably want it at about 150-155 for about 30-45 minutes or so. I would heat the water to that temp and then add the grains.

I'm not familiar with these kits but I would probably follow the instructions provided. Since it is a stout, you won't have to worry about the beer being darker than normal. just remove the kettle from the heat when you want to add your lme and make sure it dissolves completely before you put it back on the burner.

This week i bottled my first beer, a Coopers Lager from the DIY Kit, and brewed an Irish Stout last night. Happy to say that when I left home this morning I could see some nice activity through the top of the fermenter. Can't wait for St. Pattys day.

2011-01-18224024-1.jpg

just read the instructions....
" 1. Place 1-1 ½ gallons water in the brewpot, and bring to a boil.

1. Turn the heat off. Place the both grains in the steeping bag, and steep in the hot water for 20-30 minutes. Then remove and discard the spent grains, and heat the water again to near boiling."

The directions are written poorly, and lack to tell you what temp to steep at, you don't want to steep too hot.

After reading a ton of posts and getting a few answers I basically heated to around 170 then steeped under 160 and above 150 for the duration. Then discarded the grain and stirred in DME, brought to a boil added hops; then stirred in extract can at 15 minutes along with a pinch of Irish Moss and boiled for another 15.

Latest posts

Back