Safe Glass Option for Coca-Cola Wet Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8rgui

Reaction score
I spent all summer rebuilding a Westinghouse Coca-Cola Wet Cooler, it holds 144 glass soda bottles and circulates 35 degree water around them. Here is a pic taken from google of a machine similar to mine click here.

I would like to make my own diet sodas to put in it. I see that a lot of people say stay away from glass because it can blow up. Is there a way to make soda that can be safely be bottled in glass? I don't know if you can add a chemical to stop the yeast or if I could create a syrup and use tonic water.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to ruin my coke machine by having glass bottles blow up in it.

Thanks

Diet sodas are safe. Since the yeast can't digest artificial sweeteners, you prime them with just enough regular sugar to carbonate at room temperature. Regular soda, natural carbonation and glass are a problem, because the yeast will continue working until the bottles explode, unless the soda is kept cold all the time.

I have a mini fridge for my soda. I leave my soda out of the fridge for up to a day and a half and then put it in the fridge, and it's fine. When I was just using sugar it sometimes took a while to open a bottle without it fizzing out, but I've started using artificial sweetener along with up to 7 tablespoons of sugar (to feed the yeast), and my soda has a nice head and is no where near exploding.
I've been making soda for a year, though, and the only time I've ever had soda explode while in the fridge was when we had rolling blackouts. I had a bottle of 5-month old soda that exploded because it wasn't consistently cool.

Back