Honey malt, chocolate malt.... what's going on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I'm still new at this, but I'm enjoying it royally. I've made 2 chocolate stouts just to repeat the process right off and learn from it. Then, I made an IPA which I just bottled this morning. Up next is a barley wine, ingredients are in the mail (I'm in Germany and can't find a brewstore).

I've been researching and reading like crazy. I've been hearing about chocolate malts (which I've used) and honey malts, etc. What are these? I thought malt was wheat, barley, corn etc. germinated and starch converted. Are chocolate malts, chocolate seeds or whatever germinated and converted? Or is it barley somehow flavored like chocolate? Same with honey, vanilla and whatever else.

Chris

Chocolate malt is barley malt that is dark roasted to give a deep color and almost chocolate flavor to your brew.

Honey malt is barley malt prepared such that many of the starches and sugars remain too complex to be fermented, even after mashing. The result is a sweet, honey-like character in your beer.

Back