Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Sam and Batali, I'm still planning on going to Eataly, but I've heard (and seen form their online menu), that they are ridiculously expensive. Food in Manhattan is overall a little more expensive than anywhere else, but I can find so much good beer at a million places in the city. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with the high prices.

I doubt they are shooting themselves in the foot. From what I hear, they can't keep the people out. I have yet to been...it's on the soon-to-do list. I'll just go for the beer that's brewed there and stuff my face.

I've seen episode 6. It's about Dogfish opening up a restaurant in Eatily in NYC with Mario Batali and some Italian brewers. If you know where to look online you can dig it up.

Speaking of Sam and Batali, I'm still planning on going to Eataly, but I've heard (and seen form their online menu), that they are ridiculously expensive. Food in Manhattan is overall a little more expensive than anywhere else, but I can find so much good beer at a million places in the city. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with the high prices.

There are plenty of ridiculously wealthy people living in NYC and that's exactly who they are going after with that restaurant. Can't blame them for tapping in to that market.

There are plenty of ridiculously wealthy people living in NYC and that's exactly who they are going after with that restaurant. Can't blame them for tapping in to that market.

Except those people go to trendy places, not beer places. You can't sell beer at champagne prices anywhere in this country and expect to last that way. The high-priced beer market is still centered around people like us, unlike wine/sprits which are firmly entranched with the upper-classes.

Except those people go to trendy places, not beer places. You can't sell beer at champagne prices anywhere in this country and expect to last that way. The high-priced beer market is still centered around people like us, unlike wine/sprits which are firmly entranched with the upper-classes.

When you have Mario Batali as your chef, you could serve soju mixed with instant iced tea and people would still come.

I think the cheapest beer at the DFH Alehouses in the DC area (2 VA, 1 MD) is about 8 bucks with some of the top end stuff being around 15 a pint. None of them are hurting for business.

Going there Sunday after Rock of Ages....I'll give you a full report when I get back.

As for the prices, they are probably not shooting themselves in the foot. Its NYC, they can get away from it and from what I hear, there is always a line.

We have reservations, I'm looking forward to it, especially for the house beer.

When you have Mario Batali as your chef, you could serve soju mixed with instant iced tea and people would still come.

The majority of people (i.e. other than those of us here who are already in the know) have to become informed and have to be exposed to the great beer/great food interplay that is available and which keeps getting better and better. You are generally going to spend much less on a great beer/great food meal and generally have a better overall experience than you would with great wine/great food - at least I believe you will.

I don't think it is on Amazon because I don't think it ever aired.

I'd have to agree. I did one of the DFH tasting at the roof-top brewery in NYC with Sam leading the class. At the end of the night he was talking about the show and how they did all this great stuff to get the place open, etc. and how it was all filmed. From the way he was talking, I am not sure that he even knows that the episode was actually edited and put together, as he said that nothing ever came of all the footage shot (didn't have time to tell him I saw a copy of it online).

He basically said what has been said here before by people, that a big beer company threatened to pull sponsorship out of Discovery Advertising. It is a shame though that most people will never see this episode, as it was a really good one.

::Side note:: at the very end of the tasting we were brought up to the brew room. They just finished brewing the first batch of a new ancient ale that night and gave out samples of the wort. From the wort sample, this beer is going to be GREAT.

Yes. Yes there were.

I did some more poking around last night, and found a way to download episode 6. Too bad tracking down a copy of the Pain Relievaz CD Untether the Blimp isn't as easy.

I started watching the episode last night. It was cool to watch an episode now that I've actually brewed a batch of beer. I had a better understanding of what was going on.

i didn't realize the last episode was out, but watched it last night. i wish it would come back...

i didn't realize the last episode was out, but watched it last night. i wish it would come back...

Like all of these shows, there are only so many ways you can build a good beer... or a motor cycle... or an antique car... or a cupcake...

Not that I minded the whole "what can we throw into a beer now?" aspect, but the show was really limited in what it could do in the long run.

ao125 said:
Like all of these shows, there are only so many ways you can build a good beer... or a motor cycle... or an antique car... or a cupcake...

Not that I minded the whole "what can we throw into a beer now?" aspect, but the show was really limited in what it could do in the long run.

This site is proof that there are thousands of different ways to brew a beer. Not to mention thousands of different brewers.

This site is proof that there are thousands of different ways to brew a beer.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think having one recipe that calls for 100# of C-60 vs. another that uses 100# of C-80 makes for good TV at all...

Not to mention thousands of different brewers.

Well maybe if Brewmasters went from brewery to brewery instead of just sticking with DFH, it would be more interesting...

I had high hopes that the DVD would include episode 6 but it did not. It is a shame because I saw it online and it was one of the best episodes they did. I also really enjoyed going back and watching it because that series kind of made me want to start brewing and then the subsequent trip to DFH made me start brewing. It is cool to go back now and understand what they are saying a bit more like when he says what malts they are using or they talk about mashing in.

Back