possible IPA recipe, feedback.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookietruck

Reaction score
i'm going to brew in a few days as the weather here is real nice. cooling down.

i picked up the grains last night and i have a pound each of amarillo, chinook and centennial pellets. i'm thinking about doing something like this.
i'm thinking not too bitter but big hop flavor and aroma.

grain bill is this.

13 lb 2 row.
1.5 lb munich 10L
.5 lb wheat malt white
.5lb c 20
.5lb c 60

6gal batch, 1.067-1.070
SRM ~ 8
i have US05 yeast so i'll probably use that.
~ 65IBU

thinking of doing this hop schedule...

......................60min 20min 10min 1min
chinook---------1oz-----------------1oz
amarillo-----------------.5oz--.5oz--1oz
centennial--------------.5oz--.5oz--1oz

dry hop with 1oz each of amarillo and centennial.

edit: add dashes to make my hop schedule easier to read.

i'll probably mash at 156.
i calculated that for 70% efficiency, seems that's about what i hit usually.

Seems high on the mash temps to me, but then, I don't like it sweet.
But I like the ingredients!

I'd drop the wheat and bump the munich up in its place and mash at around 152. With that great hop profile I wouldn't want it that sweet - but hey if you like it like that then go for it. Looks like a nice recipe.

I'd drop the wheat and bump the munich up in its place and mash at around 152. With that great hop profile I wouldn't want it that sweet - but hey if you like it like that then go for it. Looks like a nice recipe.

grains are already mixed and milled so i've gotta go with that.
maybe i will drop the mash temp a little, not sure. i'd kinda like it a little sweet with some good body.

grains are already mixed and milled so i've gotta go with that.
maybe i will drop the mash temp a little, not sure. i'd kinda like it a little sweet with some good body.

I do a similar recipe to this all the time. I usually mash it somewhere between 151-154 and I always get a nice little bit of sweetness and body, but dry enough to really appreciate the great amarillo and centennial dry hop.

i think i'll drop it down a few degrees on the mash temp then.

:D well i went in the opposite direction and mashed at 159. figure since the grain bill is similar to the lagunitas IPA* i'd go that way with it this time. maybe next time i'll mash at 150 and see how i like it.

*also, all day i was thinking about that smell and taste of the lagunitas IPA from draft i had at the movie theatre a while back when i saw inglorious basterds :mug:
most enjoyable lagunitas IPA i've had...i really enjoy their correction ale though.

so anyway. i've got 6gallons in primary now. after the boil it measured 1.064 and i pitched a pack of US05 this morning at 63*

well the krausen fell tuesday. measured the gravity weds. and it was 1.014.
dry hopped and it's smelling real nice. tasted pretty good too. gonna give it another week or so then i'll bottle it up. this one has me a little excited.

Back