Mead - Aging Vs. Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So I just started getting into Mead making. I have done a fair amount of research on it, and it looks like I have found a great debate. Most meads say that it taste better after being aged six or so months. However, it is not possible to age and prime it for carbonation since aging will kill the yeast.

I assume the above is correct. If it is, how does one determine whether to age or to prime?

Always age your mead unless you like drinking rocket fuel.

From personal experience I wouldn't say that yeast dies at 6 months after having carbed several brews that sat around for 8 or 9 months aging.

If you have doubt about your yeast carbing after 6 months, add more at bottling.

If you have doubt about your yeast carbing after 6 months, add more at bottling.

Don't have to worry about that though, because by the time you mead is done aging and ready to drink, you'll have a kegging setup. Force carb it.

Back