Dr Pepper beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've seen some mention of this, someone has a dr pepper dubbel post here but they never gave an update on it. I have the recipe for the "Mountain Brew" which is a light beer but I am more of a Dr fan so I would like to try this sometime. What say you, should I go with porter when I try this? I'm thinking of cutting back on the malt a little and using Dr instead of most of the water.

I've never made a porter before... anyone got suggestions on specialty grains?

to kickstart this discussion, here's the recipe for the Mountain Brew which is of course a pale ale--

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with soda pop)

OG = 1.046 FG = 1.006 IBU = 19 SRM = 4 ABV = 5.2%

Jason Pavento wanted to combine his two favorite beverages, homebrew and Mountain Dew. His creation — Mountain Brew — does just that. We’ve fiddled with his procedures a bit, based on our own experimentation, but the ingredients are the same as his original recipe. The beer turns out light and crisp, with some aroma, but not much flavor from the Mountain Dew. And, in case you’re wondering, neither the preservatives or the caffeine seem to bother the yeast. Mountain Brew is also a very easy to make. So, to mangle a phrase from their ads — just brew it!
Ingredients

* 4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Muntons Extra Light dried malt extract
* 2.3 gallons (8.7 L) Mountain Dew
* (24 12-oz. cans of the soda)
* 4.5 AAU Northern Brewer hops (45 mins)
* (0.5 oz./14 g of 9% alpha acids)
* 2.25 AAU Northern Brewer hops (15 mins)
* (0.25 oz./7 g of 9% alpha acids)
* 1/2 tsp Irish moss
* 1/4 tsp yeast nutrients
* Danstar Manchester yeast
* 1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step

Pour Mountain Dew into a clean, sanitized brew bucket. (The soda should not have anything growing in it, so there’s no need to boil. You may want to wipe the lips of the cans with a paper towel soaked in sanitizing solution, though. Let it sit in the bucket (covered) as you boil the wort so the level of carbonation will decrease.) Bring 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water to a boil and stir in malt extract. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the recipe. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and pour into Mountain Brew. (Watch for excessive foaming.) Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate (again, watching for excessive foaming) and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) for 1 week. Rack to secondary and age for 2 weeks, Bottle with corn sugar.

hows the balance in mountain brew? does it come out stronger one way or the other? also that dr pepper beer sounds like it would be good. if i were to do it id either back off the dr pepper a bit with more extra light extract or trade the extra light for light extract or both if you were to modify the mountain brew recipe. thoughts?

Strange Brew....

Plot Synopsis

by Eleanor Mannikka

Purporting to be loosely based on Hamlet, Strange Brew is about an evil braumeister at the Elsinore Brewery who has discovered an additive that when guzzled in beer, allows the drinkers to be easily controlled. Braumeister Smith (Max von Sydow) has a plan to take over the world with his new brew, and only the Great White hosers of the North, Bob and Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) -- with their plaid shirts, ski toques, fur-lined parkas, and addiction to beer -- can stop the dastardly plan, sober or not. There are several jabs at "hoseheads" and the business of movie-making, including an epilogue that critiques the film itself. Strange Brew found a cult audience with fans of the Second City comedy troupe, of which Moranis and Thomas were members.

http://www.allmovie.com/work/47177
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Brew#External_links

--

Strange Brew....

Plot Synopsis

by Eleanor Mannikka

Purporting to be loosely based on Hamlet, Strange Brew is about an evil braumeister at the Elsinore Brewery who has discovered an additive that when guzzled in beer, allows the drinkers to be easily controlled. Braumeister Smith (Max von Sydow) has a plan to take over the world with his new brew, and only the Great White hosers of the North, Bob and Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) -- with their plaid shirts, ski toques, fur-lined parkas, and addiction to beer -- can stop the dastardly plan, sober or not. There are several jabs at "hoseheads" and the business of movie-making, including an epilogue that critiques the film itself. Strange Brew found a cult audience with fans of the Second City comedy troupe, of which Moranis and Thomas were members.

--

ROFL? I love Rick Moranis

Strange Brew....

Plot Synopsis

by Eleanor Mannikka

--

effin hilarious movie although i believe much of the subtle comedy is lost on americans

Not sure what strange brew has to do with this other than that Dr P beer is strange.

Awesome movie though!

Who knows now that we have broken the ice on the topic of "strange brews" what new and interesting brews may here come to light that we have never dreamed of...???

Don't hold back!

I eagerly await more information...

Well I've heard that adding spruce tips makes it taste like Pepsi beer. Maybe for Dr. Pepper, add some prunes and cherries?

I think before the DP beer I'm going to try doing a 1gal test batch of the Mountain Brew this week. It should be ready fairly quickly as long as I keep a low OG.

After reading this thread I decided to try mixing a dr pepper with an Imperial Stout I have kegged. I personally did not like it at all...it was way too sweet for me. As far as the movie "strange brew", memories memories memories far shoer.

I had a small glass of a "Dr. Pepper Porter" at my LHBS that a customer had brought in. It was pretty sweet but not too bad. If I remember right it was either added to the primary after the boil or added to the secondary and allowed to ferment out there.

Not sure how boiling it with the wort would go, it would seem like the HFCS might do some weird stuff.

Next time I'm there I'll ask the owner if he knows how it was made.

Cheers,
Aaron

I was thinking of using Dr. Pepper to add some gluten-free flavor to a gluten-free beer I am planning. I as also worried about the HFCS doing weird stuff, so I got some Dr. Pepper made from cane sugar. Don't know if I'm going to boil it, or just add to the primary...

An older friend of mine told me this story that overseas during the war they would cut bad batches of beer with soda . . .I don't know if thats true or not

Perhaps someone knows a person who owns a soda fountain and has the syrup....I think that would make doing this brew a lot easier.

Back