Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the pictures (esp the last one) they look like white persistent bubbles, which is bad.

Standard infection response: Assuming it tastes good, rack from under it and drink fast. Keg, don't bottle, or you risk bombs. Sanitize all equipment, tubes, etc...

I only have bottles unfortunately. Crap. First saison too. :(

That's the start of a lacto infection, since it's starting to look like broken ice pack. Rack from under it to bottle. The fact that it's infected doesn't guarantee exploding bottles. I got an infected batch worse then that & no exploding bottles. If it's at FG, prime & bottle asap. Nasties need oxygen too, so bottling will deny them that.

That's the start of a lacto infection, since it's starting to look like broken ice pack. Rack from under it to bottle. The fact that it's infected doesn't guarantee exploding bottles. I got an infected batch worse then that & no exploding bottles. If it's at FG, prime & bottle asap. Nasties need oxygen too, so bottling will deny them that.

Thanks for the help unionrdr. I'll bottle then. Will the standard cleaning and star-san procedure take care of the lacto infection in my bottle and fermentor, or do I need to do something heavy duty? My first infection...

You really cannot tell the type of infection by the look of the pelicile. They all have different looks. Every sour I have brewed has had a pelicile that looked different.

Het ChefRex... Cool photo.

I should go take a pic of a few of mine. Also all intentional.

You really cannot tell the type of infection by the look of the pelicile. They all have different looks. Every sour I have brewed has had a pelicile that looked different.

Het ChefRex... Cool photo.

I should go take a pic of a few of mine. Also all intentional.

It's a little over four months old, first time looking at it, looks pretty happy and smells out of this world:D

So I have me a sour saison I guess. Not out of style I suppose. Hoping it doesn't taske like sauerkraut though.

Pretty sure I know how it happened. My starter poured down the side of the pot on its way to the fermentor, picking up all the nasties from the sink I cooled it in.

Looks like the beginning of a lacto infection. If it's at FG, you could bottle it up asap. I saved an IPA that way once, racking out from under it.

Unfortunatly it was at about 1.019 last time I checked, about 2 weeks ago for a D-Rest.
It's been poured and I'm seriously thinking to just throw out the plastic carboy and airlock

Double strength doesn't mean twice as good. It's also not a rinse free sanitizer at that strength. So I hope you rinsed it off.

Out of curiosity, Im not sure whether or not I have an infection as this is the first time I use liquid yeast in my beer. A few greasy bubbles are persisting and it's almost time for a dry hop.

What I'd like to know is: will adding dry hops in a sanitized bag help kill off the beginnings of an infection due to its antibacterial properties? or should I save the hops? I would taste and open up the fermenter but I'd rather not risk an actual infection if this isn't one :p

You need to have water or sanitizer in that pot, with the blow-off tube below the surface. this creates a larger airlock to keep things out, yet allow it to blow-off excess krausen & Co2. Pointed the pic out to my wife, also a brewer, & asked," What's wrong with this picture"?

You need to have water or sanitizer in that pot, with the blow-off tube below the surface. this creates a larger airlock to keep things out, yet allow it to blow-off excess krausen & Co2.

There's a little bit of bleach and water with the hose below it so it's air locked. I'd say I'm okay then yea?

No I did, my krausen is dark brown so maybe that's just mixing in with the water

If you're getting krausen pushing through the blowoff tube into the pail with that much headspace in the carboy, then you're almost certainly fermenting too warm.

What was the O.G. of the chocolate stout? What temperature has the beer been at during fermentation (beer temperature, not room temperature)? Are you doing any sort of temperature control at all? What kind of yeast did you pitch, how much, and how did you prepare it?

If you're getting krausen pushing through the blowoff tube into the pail with that much headspace in the carboy, then you're almost certainly fermenting too warm.

What was the O.G. of the chocolate stout? What temperature has the beer been at during fermentation (beer temperature, not room temperature)? Are you doing any sort of temperature control at all? What kind of yeast did you pitch, how much, and how did you prepare it?

I know for a fact I pitched it too hot (about 85) just wasn't paying attention and pitched. But I got it down pretty fast and it fermented for the week at 65-70. My OG was 1.1. And came down to 1.02. One packet of s-04 was pitched

Latest posts

Back