Traditional Mead Bottled today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User_05_28_08

Reaction score
1 gallon batch of traditional mead bottled today.
4lbs of Fain's Pure Texas Wildflower Unfiltered Honey
1/4 tspn Wyeast nutrient
Lalvin EC-1118

Had some left that was not enough to fill a wine bottle, and I am out of caps... so I couldn't resist the urge to go ahead and drink it.

OG 1.143
FG 1.015
ABV 19.68%

Was deceptively sweet... this could get one in trouble.

Looking great! :mug:
I bet it is sweet but it is also pretty high alcohol!

Yeah, EC-1118 tends to yield high ABV... so, I like to start high gravity when using it to compensate.

Now I just need to come up with a name for this recipe.

I certainly could - especially if if one continues to drink glasses the size of one in the photo.

yeah, I recommend against drinking it by the pint... that was just what was used for taking a hydrometer reading, and the little bit left in the carboy that was not sufficient to fill a bottle... it just happened to be just enough to fill a pint glass.

I sipped on that glass for a couple of hours.

How long did one ferment/age this?

Interesting to do a 1 gallon batch... Might do that to test out the process since I haven't meaded yet.

You could of bottled this in those little 6oz champagne bottles that they give out at weddings. That would of been the perfect size.

How long did one ferment/age this?

Interesting to do a 1 gallon batch... Might do that to test out the process since I haven't meaded yet.

This batch was racked out of secondary at 2 weeks and had finished fermentation and cleared in two more weeks. I was afraid my fermentation had stalled, so I took a gravity reading. I have never had a batch of mead finish anywhere near this fast.

After sampling it... while it is drinkable, it can definitely stand to bottle age for a while.

I don't know how long it will survive in bottle, since it is the only thing I have in bottle right now, due to my recent move and delay in getting back to brewing.

Thankfully, I have some more meads and a braggot that should be ready to bottle before too long... should make aging easier.

Back