Sam White Ale back in rotation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
So I picked up a twelve of Sam Adams seasonal white ale, a noted favorite of mine from last year. Though Sam has had some issues with consistancy from batch to batch, this years first run is what I remember the beer being when I first tried it. It needs to be drunk right about now though, this beer doesn't do well after sitting for a while. I had the last run of it sometime around last summer, and it was terrible.

The spice bill on this beer is as long as my arm, but very well balanced and muted. However, I think my palate has expanded in the year since I first tried this beer. I find it a little dull, perhaps because I've been drinking IPAs and brown ales for a few solid months. The hop presence in this is almost nil, which is technically to style for a wheat beer. I'm wondering if we're going to be seeing more spiced ales like this in the future, with this hop shortage in full swing. Its a decent beer, but you have to pay attention to it to get all the subtle spices. I suppose this is Sam trying to walk the line between being a "craft brewer" and elbowing into the market of the legions of bud and coors drinkers out there.

thoughts?

mike

MLynchLtd said:
So I picked up a twelve of Sam Adams seasonal white ale, a noted favorite of mine from last year. Though Sam has had some issues with consistancy from batch to batch, this years first run is what I remember the beer being when I first tried it. It needs to be drunk right about now though, this beer doesn't do well after sitting for a while. I had the last run of it sometime around last summer, and it was terrible.

The spice bill on this beer is as long as my arm, but very well balanced and muted. However, I think my palate has expanded in the year since I first tried this beer. I find it a little dull, perhaps because I've been drinking IPAs and brown ales for a few solid months. The hop presence in this is almost nil, which is technically to style for a wheat beer. I'm wondering if we're going to be seeing more spiced ales like this in the future, with this hop shortage in full swing. Its a decent beer, but you have to pay attention to it to get all the subtle spices. I suppose this is Sam trying to walk the line between being a "craft brewer" and elbowing into the market of the legions of bud and coors drinkers out there.

thoughts?

mike

At the end of the day they are a company in business to make money...and they gotta have people drink their beer in order to do that. I like several styles they brew, but I also think they sort of shy away from taking chances with their recipes. I am a fan of the White Ale, too.

the white ale is my favorite seasonal of theirs. It taste good like last years. I too was scared I might not like it anymore since I have been drinking alot of IPA and IIPA in the last year, but no it's still good. In fact I'm gonna have one right now!

I'm a big Sam Adams fan. And like many if not most of their beers.

However IMO Blue Moon's White Ale is much, much better.

Try Allagash White, if you can find it.

I think the flavor profile is a little more balanced than Sam Adams. Very well done. And it is a local brew for me.

Latest posts

Back