Pale ale and Special B for an 80/-?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilpcraven

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this brew I just put in the fermentor? Did I done good or did I make dishwater?

I was going to recreate Jamil's Caramelised Scottish 80/- recipe from the BCS book. Sadly I didn't have any dark roasted barley to hand as an adjunct so I thought I'd throw in some special B instead, to give it some toastiness and some colour. I read a bit later that this much Special B might be overkill, though. What do you all think? Anyone got any experience of this sort of recipe?

Final recipe turned out like this:
Grain Bill:
5kg (11lbs) Pale ale malt
.25kg (just over 1/2 lb) Special B

Hop Schedule:
28g (1oz) UK Goldings 60min
5g (1/6 oz) Fuggles 60min
3.5g (1/8 oz) UK Goldings 20 min

20 litres (5 1/2 Gal) water went into the mash tun, followed by 13l (3.5 gal) sparge (a bit too much, it turns out) gave me 28l (7 2/5 gal) of wort.

I lightly caramelised the first gallon of runnings from the mash tun (boiled it down to about a pint) and added it back to the kettle.

I gave it a 120min boil

The stuff that went into the fermentor had the right colour for an 80/- and an SG of 1.054, (a bit strong for an 80/- but I guess that's because of the long boil.)

It's been fed to a rehydrated packet of Safale 04 and has been put to bed at 15.5 C (60f) assuming that the internal temperature will be a few degrees higher.

For the record, this came out pretty well.

I had a fairly strong metallic off-flavour but I don't think that came from the recipe. This was the first brew with all the gear so I expect it actually came from all the fresh shiny non-oxidised metal (the chiller was very shiny copper, in particular. Should have hit it with some vinegar) but the colour, head and sweetness all fall nicely into a classic 80/~. Might well make it again in the future once I've harvested the edinburgh yeast from the wee heavy that's on the go right now.

Back