Drank a commercial hefe then drank mine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Mine's better... by far. Maybe cause it's so fresh, but god dangit, I make good f'in hefeweizen. I love homebrewing.. I'm a bit buzzed and over-zealous I know. I'm serving 3 kegs at a halloween party tommorow night. Think I'm gonna put out a donations box. These folks aren't my close friends, more like temporary aquaintances while we are in Texas. I suspect the pumpkin ale will be a hit! :ban: :mug: :drunk:

Gives me hope for my own hefe. I found a few recipes and modified them a little to come up with a batch for my uncle. He paid for the ingredients so I better do a good job, plus his wife is German, so she can tell me how close I am. She really liked the Kolsch I made last year, maybe I will do as good with this one. Next up is a double bock, then either a honey cream ale or my great grandads Prohibition beer

fatboy570 said:
Gives me hope for my own hefe. I found a few recipes and modified them a little to come up with a batch for my uncle. He paid for the ingredients so I better do a good job, plus his wife is German, so she can tell me how close I am. She really liked the Kolsch I made last year, maybe I will do as good with this one. Next up is a double bock, then either a honey cream ale or my great grandads Prohibition beer

Not that you asked for it, but my #1 suggestion for making your hefe come out well is keeping a stable fermentation temp in the range that gives the flavor profile you want. I like the clovey-ness of genuine German hefe, so I tend to ferment at a cool temp, around 64-66F. I still found that I had to tweek things a bit to dial in the correct hoppiness/sweetness. Good luck

John, for you to be brewing ones that you consider that great - I'm sure they truly are - after your time in Germany I know you've sampled PLENTY of the real deal. Be proud of yourself! Have a great party -- and yes, consider leaving a donations envelope out, but I'd suggest you don't actually ASK for donations if you told people that you would have plenty of beer available. If it's BYOB and their all hitting your kegs, though, then definitely ask! Or ask for volunteer help with brewing your next batch or two...

Ó Flannagáin said:
...Think I'm gonna put out a donations box. These folks aren't my close friends, more like temporary aquaintances while we are in Texas. I suspect the pumpkin ale will be a hit! :ban: :mug: :drunk:

Your close friends are probably more likely to give to the cause than the strangers!:rolleyes:

Back