Another Airlock Blowoff Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaudoin

Reaction score
Another beer noob question. :)

I did a search on this forum about airlocks blowing off, and there is a lot of information about it. However, I didn't find anything about my specific question, so here goes:

I'm doing my primary fermentation of a Honey Lager in a 6 gal, glass carboy. It came in a kit that I bought in Montreal, and I used the yeast that came with it. According to the instructions, the fermenting temperature range of the yeast is 64 to 75 degrees F. Ambient temperature is 68, and the carboy temp is 72, so I think I'm good there. I started the fermentation last Sunday, and it quickly started to ferment rather vigorously. That lasted 1 1/2 days and then the airlock blew off with Krauen all over the place. I found it on the floor with a mess. I cleaned it and sanitized the airlock and put it back on the carboy.

The problem is: no more fermentation bubbles in my airlock. When I look at the beer in the carboy, there seems to lots of activity... like a big yeast orgy in there... but no CO2?

I'd say it can take time,to build back up enough press to push gas out of the airlock. Also your fermentation may just be done it strong primary fermentation then has gone into the slower where it cleans up and finish out. I really would worry about it.

image-3000493122.jpg

This happened to me but it was about 20 hours after I pitched my yeast. So it was still going crazy when I put a blow off tube on it. The beer turned out fine.

Ok. I'll relax. :)

This is my first brew, so I guess I have the normal, first-brew anxieties.

Back