Straight Jacket Russian Imperial Stout (Silver medalist)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamaien

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
2 rehydrated packets
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
88 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 68F, cold crash for 1 week before bottling
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Rich and smooth with robust roastiness. Notes of dark chocolate and dark fruits.
Grain:
14 lbs Maris Otter
2.5 lbs Chocolate Malt 350L
2.5 lbs Roasted Barley 500L
1 lb Crystal 120L
20lbs total grain

Additional fermentables:
2 lbs Briess Wheat DME
.5 lb Lactose

Hops:
60: 1.5oz Northern Brewer 10.2AA 31.4IBU
30: 2oz Kent Goldings 5.8AA 18.3IBU
15: 2.5oz Northern Brewer 10.2AA 25.9IBU
5: 2oz Kent Goldings 5.8AA 4.7IBU

Yeast:
2 packets rehydrated US-05

Water:
Wilmington, NC-
Calcium: 10ppm
Magnesium: 2ppm
Sodium: 31ppm
Chloride: 24ppm
Sulfate: 38ppm
Alkalinity (CaCO3): 20ppm

Other:
Whirlfloc tablet at 15 minutes
1 tbsp Yeast nutrient at 15 minutes
1 tbsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer in mash

BIAB Mash schedule:
Single infusion of 7.5 gallons at 163 degrees to reach mash temperature of 152. Mash for 60 minutes. Infusion of 3 gallons boiling water to reach mashout temperature of 167 for 10 minutes. Pull grain bag, rest on draining rack over the pot (I use a metal cookie cooling rack). Squeeze the grain bag for increased efficiency. Use a metal pitcher to pour remaining water at 170F through the grain bag and collect your pre-boil volume for your system, typically 7 gallons for a 6 gallon batch.

Fermentaiton:
Give the beer plenty of time on the yeast cake, I left it in primary for a month. Cold crash 1 week before bottling for clarity.

Bottling:
I carbonated with 3.3oz corn sugar to get 1.8 volumes since I like a smoother texture in my imperial stouts. I lost a couple points for low carbonation so adjust to your preference.

Recipe notes:
I lost points mostly on texture related issues. Personally I don't like super thick and chewy stouts since I find them hard to drink so this recipe is on the lighter side of the style. 9.3% ABV balances well with the medium-low finishing gravity to make a lighter and less oily mouthfeel for the style. If you want to beef up the mouthfeel, I suggest swapping the Wheat DME for flaked wheat and/or using a lower attenuating yeast strain.

I also lost a couple points because the hopping rate was perceived as a little low so if I brew this again I might add some more Northern Brewer on the tail end to get closer to 95IBU.

Picture coming soon.

Back