Apfelwein Weirdness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
okay. Since I have not been able to brew beer I have been making more apfelwein. Just started a batch and decided to use what I had on hand. This will be my third batch and it is doing some strange looking stuff! :fro:

I used safale so-4 and dark brown sugar (which I warmed in some apple juice not boiled). Never did any of that with the standard recipe! I noticed a kraeusen forming a few hours after pitching so I attached a blow off tube. Actually never used a blow-off before but had one in case. I missed the actual "blowing off" but you can see how far it went up the tube. As to the crud on the bottom. It is like some solar flares or a lava lamp. Not sure what it is but it is pretty active. Never had trub in the last batches? :confused: I am at a loss to explain the stuff at the very end of the vid!? ;)

Cool stuff, check it out. Here is the .

WILD! ought to be interesting....

Last edited by a moderator:
No, worries here. Just thought it was pretty unusual so i thought I would share.

:D

are you sure you're using safale yeast? That yeast was moving a lot but damn, I didn't know that could create lightning!

Let us know how it tastes. It'll be more like an English Style with the ale yeast. I don't think it will be as clean as a wine based cider. I bet it'll be like a very appley ale w/ a touch of molassis. My first cider experience was with that style. Its still pretty good.

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
Let us know how it tastes. It'll be more like an English Style with the ale yeast. I don't think it will be as clean as a wine based cider. I bet it'll be like a very appley ale w/ a touch of molassis. My first cider experience was with that style. Its still pretty good.

Will do... If ya'll remember in a couple of months! :D

Will certainly be different it is much darker so far but I know it will lighten up as it goes. I think I'll try another variation as i won't be making any beer soon.

I watched this video and thought "Man, that looks freaking weird and kinda sick."

Fast-Forward to yesterday when I brewed Ed's Haus Pale. Now, my primary is going nuts with the same swirling hurricane thing going on! That's one heck of a fermentation going on in there! Must be that crazy Nottingham yeast that does it; for some reason it just makes things stir. ;)

Latest posts

Back