Curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all, Out of curiosity I was looking up the pricing of a Nitrogen setup. I noticed it was about $10 more for the tank, and $10 more for the regulator. Upon closer inspection though I realized that the tank was identical to the CO2 tank being sold. I noticed that the tanks are manufactured by "Catalina", so I went to their website. Sure enough, its the same tank. The only difference is when you fill it, they put the CO2 sticker or Nitrogen sticker on for safety so you know whats inside. However you can remove that sticker.

I know that the nitrogen regulators have a Yellow bonnet, and the CO2 regulators have a Blue bonnet. A look on Draught Technologies (the manufacturer of the regulator) doesnt give any diffinitive info. However I noticed that on my Blue Bonnect CO2 regulator on a gold sticker around the bonnet it says "CO2, Air, Nitrogen".

Are we just being milked here, or does someone know whats up?

Note: I just noticed the CO2 sticker says its not to be removed. I guess onces its filled with a gas, you cant use another in it. However, there is no reason I cant order the CO2 tank online since it isnt stickered until its first filled.

so are you looking for beergas, or pure nitrogen? pure nitrogen should ONLY come in a cga-580 tank, which is the same valve used for argon, i believe. beergas can come in either CGA-320 (co2 valve), or CGA-580, it depends on where you get it filled.

i've seen online places that sell nitrogen tanks which are just co2 tanks outfitted with a nitrogen valve. they are usually rated at odd tank sizes like 33 CF. native nitrogen/beergas tanks are usually steel, and rated in increments of 20CF.

you can purchase valve nuts/couplings on mcmaster. the regulator body has just a 1/4'' fitting, could be left hand or right hand threads, if you want to do this to a co2 regulator, make sure they are right hand threads. also, some regulators are rated to 1800 psi, others are rated to 3000. 3000 would be better for nitrogen. most tanks that you can purchase will only be filled to 1800 psi, i believe, though i think there are 3000 psi tanks.

before you purchase tanks online, make sure there are places local that can fill whatever you decide to purchase.

Not sure that Ill ever do it. I was just curious. Im sure I could get the tanks filled around here. There are so many bars in Hermosa, they have to get theirs from somewhere.

well, do you plan on doing still meads or wine through your kegerator? that's the only thing i can think of for nitrogen, and why i will probably get a nitrogen setup in the future myself.

Back