3rd year plus container hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbx

Reaction score
I just got my rhizomes, have 3 large 120L rubbermaid containers for planters and plans to turn vancouver balcony into a hop jungle. I've been reading articles and forum posts for the last hour and half and I haven't seen any about growth or yield after year 2. Are container growers getting decent yield or do they completely outgrow the container and terrible yields?

Hmmmm.... 120L = ~32 gal. I'd say you're safe with those, and couldn't imagine the plants outgrowing them any time soon.

Try it! If you do think they're being constrained by container size, transplant them after 3 years. I guarantee you'll get a harvest worth your 1st 2 year's effort.

There's a pic of someone growing hops from 1/2 barrels here: http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/homegrown_hopyards ; he's in Maine.

Thanks for the info. For the near future I don't really have anywhere to transplant them. I bought 5 rhizomes as the shipping was the same as 3. I planned on guerrilla planting the other 2 in the park but I decided to plant them in a couple of 17" pots my wife had. Probably too small to get anything out of them but if one of the hops in the big rubbermaid containers fail I have a couple backups I can transplant.

I ordered willamette, cascade, centennial, mt hood and nugget...you wouldn't believe the amount of deliberation i went through to decide which 3 to put in the big containers. I went with nugget, cascade and willamette.

Latest posts

Back