Carbonation Bubble size in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad

Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone has used a carbonation stone compared to just normal keg carbonation? I am just trying for the first time a .5 micron carbonation stone in some new millenium sparkling wine and the bubbles seem perfect for like a champagne because they are really small. I that because of the .5 micron stone? Would they be bigger with a 2 micron stone? What is the normal size in a beer? Can you achive this size with a .5 micron or a 2 micron stone? Or is it just better to do it naturally in a keg with just the usual process no stone involved?

Something to ponder :mug:

I would not think there would be any difference in the carbonation method.

The co2 dissolves into solution and comes back out with the pressure changes when you open a bottle or pour a glass from a keg.

Wayne.

The only thing I'm aware of that will change the size of the CO2 bubbles is time, presumably because fine particulates that seed the bubbles fall out after prolonged storage. How your beer gets carbonated, bottle/keg conditioned, CO2 tank with or without stone etc will not affect the size of the bubbles.

GT

The bubble size in the carbonation process only affects how much surface area there is between the gas and beer. Finer = faster carbonation (slightly). It has nothing to do with the bubble size when it's later poured.

Back