Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
DCL US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes
Adapted from the Zymurgy recipe
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Will be brewing this for sure, what happens if I leave the milk sugar out and add malto dextrine instead?

Sounds like a winner! Thanks a lot, but one quick question. Beersmith defaults the addition of lactose @ 60 min. The recipe states last 10 min. What would the difference be with the additional 50 minutes of boil time. Appreciate the info thanks.

Do You By Chance Have A Clone For Their Deep Cover Brown Ale. I Had It In A Beer Of The Month Club And Loved It.

It sounds like lactose can be added pretty much whenever. I'm too lazy to cite the other thread that stands for the proposition though.

Hey, i am planning on brewing this on Christmas day and was wondering what kind of milk sugar that you recommend.

Chromados

I'm not the author of the recipe, but I think I can answer your question. Milk sugar is simply lactose, and any lactose would do. Just make sure it's 100% lactose and not a mixture of other stuff.

Great recipe, great beer! Brewed this one up on Nov 15th, just started pulling off the keg a couple days ago... Awesome!

This sounds like a great recipe. I just told a friend I'd make a celebration ale in honor of the birth of his first child. I think a (mother's) milk stout is appropriate! Now I've just got six months to test and brew! Thanks.

We are going to be brewing this tomorrow. Scaled to 5.5 gallons with beer smith and then rounded the amounts to nearest .25# Should be awesome. Also using WL-001 California ale yeast and Maris Otter Pale Malt.

Brewed this up a couple months ago. Drinking my first (bottle) right now. It's really, really good. Great recipe! I haven't had the left Hand in a while so I can't say how is stacks up, but stand alone, it's the best stout I've made. Thanks!

Thumbs up for this recipe; I just kegged this and after 2 1/2 weeks it's spot on to LHMS, comparing the two side by side my brew using this recipe tastes better IMO.

Lots of complex flavors going on in here, it's slightly hoppier than LHMS but turned out fantastic. Thanks!

Anyone who brewed this care to share their thoughts/feedback? Seems like quite a few brewed this but not many people came back to this thread to say how they liked it etc.

Nice looking recipe. I think I will try this out soon. This will be the first stout which I will dispense with the stout faucet and nitrogen set-up which I just picked up.

I am not totally familiar with BeerSmith but I get the following when i tried to convert it, is this close? Can anyone help with the conversion? Also I have a 5 gallon cooler that i'm going to make a mashtun with, i am limited to 3 gallon boil size.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand PM
Brewer: Jason
Asst Brewer:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 41.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 42.13 %
1.48 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.59 %
0.96 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.78 %
0.72 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.72 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.64 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.83 %
0.52 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.80 %
0.42 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.88 %
2.14 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.85 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.80 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.47 lb
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Just poured one of these earlier tonight. Great beer. Very close to the original. Nothing I would really change about the recipe.

Just opened the first of this all-grain batch. I used less hops than called for as it seems a bit high. Turned out pretty close. My ABV was a bit higher but you can't really tell a difference due to how flavorful it all is. Thanks for posting the recipe

Thanks for sharing, I brewed this up a couple weeks ago, just kegged and it tastes pretty damn good.

I upped the grain bill equal % to get the SG to 1.071, left the lactose at 1 lb., used US-05. I also wanted to use leaf hops so I ended up substituting 1oz Northern Brewer (60 min) and 1oz Fuggles (10 min), and even though its not finished aging or carbed, I think the hop balance is great. My 4th AG batch and so far it's looking like the best...

We brewed this one.. absolutely amazing. We did a blind taste test between this and the LHMS, and it was actually better than LHMS!
Took this and 3 other batches of our brews to family for Thanksgiving, and everyone raved about it. Out of all 4 batches that we took, our Milk Stout disappeared first. Every single person that tasted it said they would buy it if it was for sale.

Thank you thank you thank you for the recipe...

Back