Hop Additions for Bohemian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Bohemian Pilsner today and have my grain bill set and have picked up 2oz of Czech Saaz for flavoring and aroma additions.
As it stands I was planning on

.25oz 30min
.125 20min
.125 10min
.5oz 1min

Should I up the 1min addition to 1oz and the 30min to .5. With these corrections I jump from 37IBUs to 43.?

Just wondering if anyone has any input on this as I have never used saaz hops before.

I do not see how you are getting 37IBUs from the hop schedule you posted. I ran it in the Brew Builder and it came out to 4.4 IBUs. You want the IBUs between 35 and 45 to be in style.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? I used 6oz of saaz in my bohemian pilsener. I'm not an expert on lagers, as that was my first one and it just went in to the keg. I think that as long as you have the water right it won't taste too bitter/harsh and you can hop it up. I used the recipe from brewing classic styles.

I do not see how you are getting 37IBUs from the hop schedule you posted. I ran it in the Brew Builder and it came out to 4.4 IBUs. You want the IBUs between 35 and 45 to be in style.

I left out my 60 min addition when I was writing it. Saaz is expensive as hell here so I am using 1.75oz East Kent Goldings at 60, then the saaz for flavoring and aroma

I left out my 60 min addition when I was writing it. Saaz is expensive as hell here so I am using 1.75oz East Kent Goldings at 60, then the saaz for flavoring and aroma

That makes sense on how you got to 37 IBUs. I like the hop schedule the way you listed it. You are going to get more flavor and aroma out of the multiple additions under 30 minutes than just doing 30 minute addition and a 1 minute addition.

Ed

Thats what I was going for. I wanted a nice balanced, well rounded hop flavor and aroma, but nothing that goes BAM, HOPS. So I think ill stick with the smaller additions

Back