Would plastic tubing clamps prevent a keg from accidently emptying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT100

Reaction score
Would using cheap 50 cent plastic tubing clamps to clamp down my beer lines in my kegerator prevent the beer from dispensing if the tap was accidently pulled?

I have a little girl who loves to get into everything. I am worried she is going to play with the beer taps on my kegerator and empty the my beer all over the floor.

I don't want to buy locks and thought using plastic tubing clamps would be a cheap way to prevent spills. I am worried about the wear and tear of clamping off the beer lines and would messing with the systems balance causing foaming problems.

Anyone ever use clamps on their beer lines?

Should work fine, but it may not completely close off the line. I wouldn't worry too much about wear and tear, but it could be an issue if you clamp in the same exact spot many times.

If you want the most utilitarian solution, install an 1/8" ball valve in each line.

+1 to installing a ball valve. Just shut off the valve, and nothing is going to come out when the handle is pulled. I personally wouldn't use tubing clamps, though I'm sure they would work (just might need to replace the hose eventually).

Ball valve would be easiest, but they also sell faucet locks that prevent them from being pulled forward.

Of course a shock collar works best. ;) J/K

Just an FYI, anything installed inline may cause foaming issues. I'm not saying that the 1/8" ball valve is a bad idea, but I'd try it on one line and if you experience foam issues then you need to try something else.

Also, the tubing clamp on the line may cause foaming as well. It would change the shape of the draft line and cause a possibility of introducing turbulence in the fluid.

Baring faucet locks, the only non-intrusive prevention would be to remove the liquid ball lock from the kegs.

Yeah, as long as your poppets are in good shape, disconnecting the line is the easiest solution. The tubing clamps would never have enough power to crush 3/16" thickwall tubing to stop the flow anyway.

I've been looking for ball lock valves I could screw directly onto my 1/4" liquid disconnects (flared). I could then screw the beer line into the valve without cutting hoses apart. Anyone know where I could find these?

Back