Using ice to chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonenic

Reaction score
After a couple of late nights waiting for my worts to cool enough to pitch the yeast I've stared using ice (about 10lbs) instead of tap water to top off my 3gallons of wort. I've done this for my last 3 batches and haven't noticed any problems.

Does anyone else do this? Is this a horrible idea?

There is a couple of views on this. Your ice is not "sterile" so in theory it could introduce some nasties to your beer, but the same could be said about your top off water. I know that some people boil their top off water and chill it in the fridge.

Personally, I think that you need to do what you need to do to make this a fun hobby/obsession/lifestyle for you.

Just keep it in the back of your mind as you progress in your brewing.

I'm bringin' hardness back
Yeah!
My PPMs are gonna be on track.
Yeah!
Forgot to give my wyeast pouch a smack
Yeah!
Better do that 'fore my yeast is wack.
Yeah!

Apologies to Justin Timberlake and all readers of this thread.

After a couple of late nights waiting for my worts to cool enough to pitch the yeast I've stared using ice (about 10lbs) instead of tap water to top off my 3gallons of wort. I've done this for my last 3 batches and haven't noticed any problems.

Does anyone else do this? Is this a horrible idea?

I do the same. I figured since I use tap water to top off anyways, there is no increased risk of infection. I get an awesome break using ice, from flame out to 75* in 10 minutes.

I always used ice, same rationale as JoMarky. Now that I have switched to AG I need to get me either a wort chiller or figure out how to cool quicker. ::Sigh:: Money would be nice.

Back