Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, finally home from work. I have two types of Mr. Beer kegs: 1 has the standard spigot and the other has the locking spigot. (These measurements are approximate, but pretty close.) Standard spigot, W - 9", L - 13 7/8", H - 9.75". Locking spigot, W - 9",
L - 15 3/8", H - 9.75". Hope this helps. Pete

This may be in the wrong forum (correct me if I'm wrong) but i was trying this beer the other night and LOVED it. I want to make a beer similar to it with the MR. Beer kit and need some guidance. Does anyone have a recipe for a bananna bread beer such as this one?

0127112053-00.jpg

The beer tasted awesome, nutty taste, great bananna after taste in the back of the throat, good mouthfeel.. Probably looking to try and lower the ABV because I can't stop drinking it. It got pretty bad because I drank a couple of these and was pretty sloshy.
The only thing I'd want out of it is a more up front bananna taste, I didn't really taste the "bread" portion of it that much, if at all..
If anyone could recommend a potential recipe, it's gonna be an amazing beer! I was thinking about using the Englishman's Nut Brown as the base for it, liquifying 2 banannas and using the booster i suppose. Too much sugar? Thoughts?

I might try using the Whispering Wheat to get some of that 'bready' taste that a wheat beer brings to the table. Then, use a Hef yeast for the aroma and banana flavor.

If you really want to get some banana flavor, see if there's any banana extract that can be purchased. I've never used, nor thought of using bananas but maybe somebody else has.

Well you can get some banana flavor if you ferment at higher temperature. I'm sure there is a kind of yeast that will reliably produce a banana flavor at higher temps. Just a thought.

After reading the entire thread a couple of times, I began my homebrew journey tonight with my first basic Mr. Beer batch. I made a simple HME + booster mix following some of the tips from this thread and a couple of other places. :ban: I have a second kit that I plan to do a HME +UME brew. After a few Mr. Beer rounds, I plan on upping to a traditional five gallon set up and learn from there. Thanks for all the advice here and I'm sure my questions will start any day now.

Actually, here's a question...should I keep the other half of the pouch of one-step cleaner? The directions only call for using half of it. Does it last or should I just chunk it? Thanks again!

I've got a very messy brew that is going on two weeks in the fermenter. I dry hopped 1/2 oz Centennial hops in the keg.

It's almost two weeks, and it looks like it's ready to bottle. Minus the hop flakes floating around on top of the brew.

Filter it somehow? Or RHAHB? Bottle as normal?:confused:

Its a Cinco de Mayo de Cerveza recipe.

pirate_brew said:
After reading the entire thread a couple of times, I began my homebrew journey tonight with my first basic Mr. Beer batch. I made a simple HME + booster mix following some of the tips from this thread and a couple of other places. :ban: I have a second kit that I plan to do a HME +UME brew. After a few Mr. Beer rounds, I plan on upping to a traditional five gallon set up and learn from there. Thanks for all the advice here and I'm sure my questions will start any day now.

Actually, here's a question...should I keep the other half of the pouch of one-step cleaner? The directions only call for using half of it. Does it last or should I just chunk it? Thanks again!

The other half is for your bottles. I went out and bought Starsan instead. I find it easier to work with.

I've got a very messy brew that is going on two weeks in the fermenter. I dry hopped 1/2 oz Centennial hops in the keg.

It's almost two weeks, and it looks like it's ready to bottle. Minus the hop flakes floating around on top of the brew.

Filter it somehow? Or RHAHB? Bottle as normal?:confused:

Its a Cinco de Mayo de Cerveza recipe.

Let it sit for at least another week. It'll be better beer. ;)

The stuff floating on top is ok. You don't need to filter it. If you don't wan that stuff in your beer, you can just not bottle it. You'll know kno wjat I mean when you bottle because you'll be able to see it going into the bottle.

You can get a muslin (sp?) bag or a paint strainer from the hardware store to dry hop the pallets, but it's not necessary.

E

Does anyone have a recipe for a bananna bread beer such as this one?

You should search the forum or Google for recipes. For Mr. Beer, just cut extract recipes in half (if they are a 5 gallon recipe).

(I know, I know, it's not a full 2.5 gallons in MrB, but missing a little bit of water won't throw the beer off *that* much.)

Searching for extract banana bread beer recipes on Google gets you:

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=homebrewtalk+extract+banana+recipe&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=[/ame]

Searching this forum I got:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/banana-bread-holiday-ale-39775/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/banana-bread-beer-recipe-125489/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/banana-bread-ale-90074/

And a whole bunch more.

Like I said, if it's a 5 gallon extract kit, just cut it in half for Mr. Beer. If it's an all-grain recipe, your HBS could help you convert it to extract if you want. It's going to take some work, and it probably won't taste exactly right the first time you brew it, but if you really have a favorite beer then that's what it takes. Cloning is very hard work... but it's not impossible.

A good search is a good start. ;)

Do you guys stir the wort mixture in the keg after you add the yeast? Some suggest yes and some no. I started my yeast in a cup of warm water for about 20 minutes and got it active before pouring the cup into the wort. I didn't stir it in. Within 12 hours, I have about an 1/8th of an inch of krausen on top. I don't really see any bubbles, but the foam is there. Should I just leave it as is now? I don't need to try and stir it now to insure enough oxygen? Should I stir future batches after I add the yeast? Thanks again. This is going to be a tough few weeks waiting on my brew to get ready!

Mr Beer Bottling. Some thoughts.

I did my first ever Mr Beer batch of the west coast pale ale. I fermented for 2 weeks then bottled. Put a bottle in the fridge to try it at one week. The first one was kind of cidery. Tried another one at 2 weeks. What a difference. I put most of the rest of the beers in at 2 weeks. I left 2 to be put in at 3 weeks. Now I wish I had put them all in at 3 weeks. BY FAR. The three week conditioned bottles were the BEST. I highly recommend conditioning for 3 weeks in the bottle. The difference between 2 and 3 weeks was just as significant as the difference between week 1 and 2.

I know you'll only make it to one or two weeks for your first batch. But on the second batch, I would recommend 3 weeks in the bottle before consuming. :rockin::mug:

Do you guys stir the wort mixture in the keg after you add the yeast? Some suggest yes and some no. I started my yeast in a cup of warm water for about 20 minutes and got it active before pouring the cup into the wort. I didn't stir it in. Within 12 hours, I have about an 1/8th of an inch of krausen on top. I don't really see any bubbles, but the foam is there. Should I just leave it as is now? I don't need to try and stir it now to insure enough oxygen? Should I stir future batches after I add the yeast? Thanks again. This is going to be a tough few weeks waiting on my brew to get ready!

I wouldn't stir it now because the yeast are past the stage when they use the oxygen, but for future reference, in the initial stages, the yeast use the oxygen to create certain compounds needed for reproduction. If they don't have enough oxygen, you'll end up with fewer yeast cells and they won't be as healthy.

There has been some research that suggests that using a tiny amount of olive oil (dip a toothpick in olive oil and swirl it in the keg) can take the place of aeration, but the research was done on a much larger scale and the olive oil was added to the yeast while it was in storage, so I'm not sure how well the toothpick dipping olive oil compares. I've done it and it seems to work, but I aerate more often than I use olive oil.

There is no need to stir yeast. If it's a packet of dry yeast they will sink and be very happy. If you are pitching wet yeast you should have made a starter(!), but even if you didn't given a couple of hours it will stir itself in very nicely, thank you very much. ;)

Yeast aren't really "motile", but they seem to get around the fermenting beer pretty handily.

I seem to have an issue. Ive had the voodoo magic in the keg for a little over two weeks now and with a recent snow storm the power and heat went out for a few days. I now have what looks like pitched yeast on the top of the wort. I do have some trub on the bottom, perhaps about half of what i had for my last batch of pale ale (which is currently conditioning) the heat is back on now and im worried the yeast may have died and floated to the top or something. Insights? Need pictures? I'll edit with pictures, this thread is worthless without.

I seem to have an issue. Ive had the voodoo magic in the keg for a little over two weeks now and with a recent snow storm the power and heat went out for a few days. I now have what looks like pitched yeast on the top of the wort. I do have some trub on the bottom, perhaps about half of what i had for my last batch of pale ale (which is currently conditioning) the heat is back on now and im worried the yeast may have died and floated to the top or something. Insights? Need pictures? I'll edit with pictures, this thread is worthless without.

It's unlikely that the yeast died due to cold, unless the wort froze. When yeast gets too hot, it dies, but when it gets cold, it sleeps. If it freezes, cell walls can burst, but if it just gets cold, it wakes up once it warms up again.

I wouldn't worry. I'm on my fifth batch(all different beers), and each one looks a little different in the MRB kegs I have setup.

RAHAHB:mug:

sweet. that's comforting! Here's pics for clicks.

From top of keg:
IMG_0313.jpg

Progress so far at 3 weeks in the fermenter. Far less trub than the pale ale that I brewed.
IMG_0314.jpg

Disappointing. That's the impression I got last night when I opened my pale ale for the very first time. It was not fizzy, no head at all to speak of. Tasted of pure apple juice, really. I'll give it some more time, but it's already been over the stated amount for this brew.. can't RAHAHB because my beers don't taste good :( Not a good way to start into home brewing!

Disappointing. That's the impression I got last night when I opened my pale ale for the very first time. It was not fizzy, no head at all to speak of. Tasted of pure apple juice, really. I'll give it some more time, but it's already been over the stated amount for this brew.. can't RAHAHB because my beers don't taste good :( Not a good way to start into home brewing!

How long did it bottle condition?

Is this the WCPA w/ booster included in most of the MrB starter kits?

If so, I wouldn't use it as a judge of homebrewing (or even MrBeer); I've never had it, but if you look around on the net there's not a whole lot of good things said about that recipe.

If you want an end result that resembles commercial or craft beer, my advice is to stick with all-malt recipes, and forget about "Booster" altogether. If you want to keep using MrBeer recipes, all of their basic recipes have "deluxe" all-malt versions for just a couple $$ more each.

That said, you should still be able to get a carbonated beer out of the kit you already did. How have the bottles been stored since you bottled them? 2 weeks is the minimal time for reasonable carbonation; if you're not happy, let them sit another 2 weeks @ 70-72*F, then chill one for 48 hours before tasting it again. Unless it's infected, it will improve with a little more time.

How long did it bottle condition?

It was following the 2-2-2 rule. It was fermenting for a complete 2 weeks, then I had it bottle conditioning with the corn sugar for 2 whole weeks, and it was cold conditioned for about 4 days before I cracked one. I couldn't wait :drunk:
It is indeed the pale ale that came with the kit. I wanted to do the most basic of basic recepies for my first brew to make it as uncomplicated as possible. I ended up brewing a more complex batch immediately after on the bottling day of the pale ale however! I think I'll let that one stew in the keg for about a month before I bottle it, probably another 3 weeks conditioning and maybe 2 of lagering just to be on the safe side of things and not experience this again.
Really, it did taste like beer, only very sweet at first and it lost all of it's carbonation in the glass within about 5 minutes of sitting there. No head whatsoever.

If I remove the bottles already in the fridge, would they continue carbonating or did I initiate the final stage of fermentation by sticking them in a colder environment? I was thinking of taking them out for another week, putting them back in the fridge again later..

It was following the 2-2-2 rule. It was fermenting for a complete 2 weeks, then I had it bottle conditioning with the corn sugar for 2 whole weeks, and it was cold conditioned for about 4 days before I cracked one. I couldn't wait :drunk:
It is indeed the pale ale that came with the kit. I wanted to do the most basic of basic recepies for my first brew to make it as uncomplicated as possible. I ended up brewing a more complex batch immediately after on the bottling day of the pale ale however! I think I'll let that one stew in the keg for about a month before I bottle it, probably another 3 weeks conditioning and maybe 2 of lagering just to be on the safe side of things and not experience this again.
Really, it did taste like beer, only very sweet at first and it lost all of it's carbonation in the glass within about 5 minutes of sitting there. No head whatsoever.

If I remove the bottles already in the fridge, would they continue carbonating or did I initiate the final stage of fermentation by sticking them in a colder environment? I was thinking of taking them out for another week, putting them back in the fridge again later..

Yes, you can take them back out and the yeast will wake up.

This is all about expectations. If you expected a kick-ass craft Pale Ale like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the standard kit then yes, you'll be disappointed.

If you can recalibrate those expectations to realize that you:
- Learned how to make beer
- Learned about sanitization, fermenting, bottling, carbonating, etc. AND as a bonus you got 'good' beer, then you should be really happy!

Don't fault the WCPA. Make it again and substitue the Booster with a can of UME or a pound of malt extract and you'll get that craft beer mouthfeel that you are looking for.

As for the current bottles, take them out of the fridge and let them sit at room temp for another two weeks then try one more and see the difference.

Cheers.

Yes I think you could take them back out of the fridge. They would start carbonating.

Roger

I just got through my west coast pale ale and found that 3 weeks in the bottle and the beer was pretty good. 2 weeks in the bottle left a bit of a cidery flavor in them but not too bad. If it tasted like cider then it wasn't conditioned enough or it didn't ferment all the way. I think....

A sweet taste would indicate that the beer wasn't fully fermented = a lot of left over sugars in the beer.

A cidery taste usually means that the beer is just young and needs to age a bit.

I love to try new beers, and I typically try to avoid the ones that I'm pretty sure I won't like, but sometimes it just happens.And newly i tried Mr.Beer what a taste..Amazing

it would look normal, if it wasn't into fermentation for 3 weeks! I just don't think my yeast survived some kind of tragic event that may have befallen it! OMG I'm scared to drink this batch in a way. It just doesn't look normal to me is all. Again, I'm a green brewer, though yeast is supposed to sink to the bottom, no??

i don't know what everyone's rush is to get into their first MrB HB. i keep seeing posts by poor guys who are bummed about a cidery or shallow taste profile when they crack their HB open after only 2 weeks of conditioning, including the week of carb!!! craziness and predictable-ness.
i have my first HB bottled and carbed with this friday early am marking the 2 week barrier. i have no plans to crack one of these bastards until after feb 23 - giving them a solid month of conditioning.
if i am disappointed after this - well then mr beer is simply not for me.
so to all the anxious, bit-chomping n00bs out there - chill and drink someone else's HB for the time being - patience is such a key factor in creating quality product - just let it sit.
on a side note i am lining up a porter to go into the fermenter in a couple weeks time (my turkish marzen has another week in the fart chamber) and was wondering if i was crazy to want to dryhop some hallertau on top of bittering with challenger, plus would dark brown sugar or molasses be better in a porter - am looking for color as well as potential caramel flavor with the sugar choice. thanks for the advice ppls. and for the love of yeast flatulence please just wait longer than 2 weeks to crack your first HB.

it would look normal, if it wasn't into fermentation for 3 weeks! I just don't think my yeast survived some kind of tragic event that may have befallen it! OMG I'm scared to drink this batch in a way. It just doesn't look normal to me is all. Again, I'm a green brewer, though yeast is supposed to sink to the bottom, no??

From what I've read, yeast can fall, sink or stay in suspension.

Everyone starts somewhere. This is one of those hobbies that requires carefull combination of knowledge and skill. Both of these are aquired from these forums in one form or another. Mho.
We all had questions like this. Thats why THIS THREAD was created. Thank god it was. Now noobs like me can get answers to nagging questions and on topics i dont fully understand.

Everyone starts somewhere. This is one of those hobbies that requires carefull combination of knowledge and skill. Both of these are aquired from these forums in one form or another. Mho.
We all had questions like this. Thats why THIS THREAD was created. Thank god it was. Now noobs like me can get answers to nagging questions and on topics i dont fully understand.

+1....:mug:

Never be afraid to drink the beer. Have you see the "infection" thread? A lot of guys on that thread simply siphoned the beer out from under the mold or funky stuff. At worst it will be completely undrinkable but most had decent results. At least try it before you throw it out. :mug:

I'm going to bump the ambient temp up to see if the yeast fell into suspension in the keg (see, I'm learning already!) and bottle it just as soon as my new set of bottles arrives. We will see how it is then.. Thanks guys!

Drinking my second test beer (1st was after 1 week in bottles, 2nd after 2). I'm glad to say it is fully carbonated! It created a head! The head didn't last though, but at least it doesn't taste flat! It does still have a bit of a cidery taste to it, so hopefully test bottle 3 tastes more like beer. I'm excited for what this will taste like, and how much better batch 2 will be.

MadCat said:
Drinking my second test beer (1st was after 1 week in bottles, 2nd after 2). I'm glad to say it is fully carbonated! It created a head! The head didn't last though, but at least it doesn't taste flat! It does still have a bit of a cidery taste to it, so hopefully test bottle 3 tastes more like beer. I'm excited for what this will taste like, and how much better batch 2 will be.

I had the same experience. The third week was the charm. Now I'm letting them sit a minimum of three weeks.

Back