Found cheap Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlLBC

Reaction score
I don't know who may be interested, but I found really cheap better bottles
(I love them, everyone may not)
5 Gallon 14.29
6 Gallon 16.79
they have ported and all the attachments and other pieces you may want. they don't do free shipping and I emailed them to see what shipping prices may be. the thing is they have a note above the product list that the company they buy from ships to them very slow and in return you may get your order pretty late. but at these prices I wouldn't mind if it took 3-4 weeks, as long as shipping is reasonable. the company is www.leisure-time.com. let me know if anyone has used them before. thanks

Wow, it's rarely that I say anything like this, but their website is bad enough that I would be very hesitant to order from them, especially because of how low their price on them is.

I would expect either their shipping to be almost as much as the bottle, OR perhaps an indefinite ship date. It just sets off HUGE warning bells to me - and I've been eyeing B-B's for some time now!

Edit: The part that REALLY worries me is "Last edited: October 24, 2006"

Edit x2: Look at their Hop prices! Can't be serious! http://www.leisure-time.com/ahpp.htm

you and me both, once I hear back on the shipping and if that's okay, I'll try them out and let ya'll know. I can't pass that up. again, if the shipping is reasonable.
hops are old, I bet

Well, perhaps they keep their prices low by not spending money on good web design? For what it is worth that price is only a little above what my LHBS would pay from a third party wholesaler (so from High-Q, Inc. to wholesaler to LHBS) so if he is getting a good deal direct from High-Q, Inc. and not doing a full markup that would explain the low price.

If you end up ordering from them let us know how the transaction goes.

I found this site the day I signed up and read about BB's.. I never sent an email, maybe we should?

I like their shipping information.

We ship only to locations within the United States. Rare exceptions may be made to this rule BUT, payment must be wired to our bank in advance. In addition, extra charges will be incurred based on how much paperwork is required. Also, foreign shipments will be shipped by UPS only unless you arrange your own shipper to pick up product at our dock. We are a UPS shipper. E-mail for more details.

Uh, what?

okay, got the email. doesn't help much, so i'll just have to order and keep everyone informed on how it goes. This is the email he sent.

Carl,

The supplier is just inconsistant. Both are available next week from the warehouse.

Modified: Thu 4/26/2007 11:47 AM

Shipping consists of a 3.99 handling charge plus ACTUAL UPS shipping (detailed in the "How to Order From Us" link on the home page). We don't know how much that is until the order is boxed and weighed and we know where it is going (all of which is stated on the web page) Our site endevors to keep prices down by using warehouses as just that - a warehousing facility. In addition, it allows us to offer all the items warehouses carry. The trade off is, it takes a little longer. The size and weight of the items we offer varies so much, it is impossible to keep updated shipping prices on over 200,000 items with prices updated every week or two that are going all over the country (especially when we don't know where they are going - I suppose we could calculate the highest possible shipping, but that doesn't seem fair).We look forward to serving you. I hope that was a helpful explanation.

Steve G
Leisure Time Pet & Hobby
www.leisure-time.com

Okay, just ordered 3 - 5 gallon better bottles and 1 - 6 gallon better bottles from this company (will put me up to 6 - 5 gallon and 2 - 6 gallon, love my better bottles). anyway, the total was 59.66 without shipping, a 3.99 handling charge is applied. this is the email from www.leisure-time.com.

Carl, Thank you for ordering from Leisure Time. Your order is being processed andupon credit approval will be shipped. We maintain approximately 20,000 ofthe fastest moving items in our central facility, and pull over 180,000others from seven warehouses located across the country. Some delay may becaused by having to wait until these remote warehouses deliver to thisshipping point. We expect your order to be filled on or about 11-22-07. Itwill be shipped shortly thereafter. We ship UPS ground. Please expect to receive your order approximately 3 to 7days after the order is filled, depending where you live. When UPS picks upyour shipment you will receive a Quantum View e-mail containing the trackingnumber of your shipment. This will be sent to the e-mail address youprovided. Please print out a copy of this acknowledgement for your records. A copy ofthe invoice will be included in the address pouch on the outside of thepackage. You will not be billed until your parcel ships. Please also notethat some banks may list our sale in a cryptic fashion. A name such as"leisurepet", "leisuretime", "leisurepetandhobby" or some varient may appearon your credit card statement. In any event, the amount will match theinvoice on the package. You may check the status of your order after the projected shipping date bysending an e-mail to [email protected]. Thanks again, we appreciate your trust.

Leisure Time
www.leisure-time.com

Carl Layton order
YOUR ORDER Item # Description Min # Price Quantity
BB03 BETTER BOTTLE PLAIN 5 GAL 1 $ 14.29 3$42.87
BB05 BETTER BOTTLE PLAIN 6 GAL 1 $ 16.79 1$16.79
Total: $ 59.66
Products shipped by UPS Ground Track. Costs depend on weight.There is an additional $3.99 handling charge.Illinois residents add 7.75% sales tax.

so I ordered 11/14 they should send that by 11/22 and I should get it no later then 11/29. so, that is not to bad for the price. I don't know what shipping is yet and i'll inform you on how long it actually takes.

Okay, a little update. NO better bottles yet. I called the guy a few days ago and asked what was up, because he sent an email saying they would be sent Nov 22 and I would have received them around the 29th. Well, in the email it said a tracking number would be sent. none was, so I called. he said that one of the better bottles came in crushed, so he had the order a replacement from them. that's fine, out of the four BB's I own one came in dented. so I know it happens. but that's what's going on up to date. I placed the order on Nov 14th, it's been 3weeks, so if I get it in a week i'll be happy. Had there been no "situation" I would have received them in 2-3 weeks. not bad. still don't know what the price on shipping is because he hasn't shipped them. As of right now I would still recommend them if you can wait and want cheap BB. The lack of communication from him has me worried, so don't expect the greatest customer service.

FYI about this place..

Its in Champaign Illinois (about 30min from me) and its a homebrew/pet supply/hobby shop.

I ordered 1 5 gal and 1 6 gal non-ported BBs plus a racking cane and carboy caps.
The only positive about the experiance is that they allowed a friend of mine to pick up the order and bring it to me (he works here, but lives there) and didn't charge shipping.

So, I ordered after many emails back and forth to ensure things were ok. It took about a week and a half and I got a phone call that the item was in the store and could be picked up. Good so far.
It happened to be close to a weekend and my buddy was unable to get there until the next Monday. I got a call from them on saturday stating "We need you to pick your order up, it is taking up valuable room in our warehouse" I indicated that my buddy would be there early in the next week. At this point I thought it was odd that they would say something like that to a customer who has PAID for the items.. but anyway.
My buddy got over there on tuesday and picked up the items. Wednesday he droped them off at my house. I was going to just put them away, but he sugested that I check the order, which is always a good idea. I'm glad I did, I got my caps, cane, and the 5 gal carboy just fine, but the 6 gal was ported, the box CLEARLY marked as ported and an invoice INSIDE THAT BOX clearly showed I ordered a plain/unported model. THEY HAD TO OPEN THE BOX TO PUT THE INVOICE IN and it was clearly marked ported.
Well, I'm not one to get upset, and mistakes happen, so I called them. The young lady who answered indicated to me that the guy who handles the internet orders would be in in the morning, and to call him then. Fine with me!
So, the next morning about 9am I called and talked to a different person, not the internet guy, and that person proceeded to tell me that I souldn't have called, I should send an email since its an internet order. I explained that it had been picked up by a friend so maybe it was a special thing, he asked me to hold. After a LONG hold he came back and said that the internet guy was on another line and he took my contact info and said he would have the guy call me.
A few hours later, I had heard nothing, so I emailed the guy with my problem. It took more than 2 days to get a response (never got a phone call). His response was that he saw that I ordered unported and wanted ported. He indicated he would have to order the right one and would let me know when it came in. I offered to him that I would ship him the wrong one if he cross-ships the right one to me, so we can save the hassle of my friend picking it up and taking up his warehouse space.
His response to me was that since he was nice enough to not charge me shipping the first time, and because his margins are so clear, he will NOT ship anything to me.
I said that was fine and arranged with my buddy to make the exchange once I recieved notice the correct item was in the store. 3+ weeks later, after EMAILING THEM to find the status, magically the item finally arrived. My buddy went in, they swapped the item (litterly swapped, pulled the new one out of its box and put it in the old box and vice versa). My buddy checked the bottle to make sure it was ported and we were all good.
When he droped off the new bottle, his first question was "are you going to do buisness with them again?". My answer was no.
As I said, I don't really get upset about things, and I wasn't in a hurry, but the extreemly slow working of the deal, and the rude comments about taking up his warehouse space and unwillingness to fix his mistake without going through hoops turned me off. If I happen to be in champaign, and go into the store, I won't hesitate to purchase things they have instock, but I would stay away from internet orders from this outfit.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess you swap cheap prices for customer service.
I just checked brewbyu out and the handling fee isn't so bad when you buy several, like I did. I bought 3 five gallon and 1 six gallon at 59.66 and with the handling that would be 63.65. where as brewbyu would be 71.00. this is all without shipping and it depends on how long you want to wait. oh well, we'll see.

well, he got bad service. I have yet to. he very well could have sent the crushed BB to me and said UPS did it. But he is taking time to get another and send it to me. yes, he should have emailed me and told me why it's taking an extra week. but it does say on the website that BB take longer to ship. So it all depends on your def of bad service. Thats why I deal mostly with more beer, midwest and AHS. but their prices are crazy for BB and Midwest is where I receive the dented BB. was it UPS, probably, could have been sent out that way. But it works fine and I didn't want the hassle of sending it back. You'll get bad service anywhere at least once.

Man, some of you guys have a lot more patience than I do. Thats exactly why I will pay a little more from my local and drive down to Long Beach or drive out to B3in Riverside. At least if they don't have it in stock I will be the first to know.
I have heard the BS about how a product will have to be shipped from one of "our warehouses" many times. This is a real big problem when you are ordering parts for your Harley-Davidson motorcycle from some of the big discounters. "Our warehouses" happen to be the Mfg. of the product, and guess what, after you have ordered and paid for it you find out the hard way it won't be available until next Neveruary.
AP

Yeah, I'm just as impatient as the next guy but I don't need these BB just yet, because I have a hard time getting the ones I have now filled. plus he hasn't charged me yet, and won't, until they are on the way to me and then its all UPS which won't take but 3-4 days at the most. When it comes to hops, grain and yeast I go with the quickest way, wich is a hour and a half drive to tallahassee.

Back