Cooling Wort vs Cooling Water - Time Difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
So we're upgrading our NYC apt sized brew setup. Currently at one 7.5 gallon stock pot and a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with steel braid. Upgrading to two 10 gallon kettles (HLT & boil) and the same cooler with a false bottom. Also adding a valves to the kettles and a pump to whirlpool/use Jamil cooling method.

Question stems from trying to calibrate brewing software and figure out how much dead space we'll have in each piece of equipment. Going to do a test run with water and plan on going through the whole system. Since I'll be testing pump/whirlpool I might as well see how long it takes me to chill.

So my question is, with the difference in density/viscosity between wort and water, will there be a significant difference in the time it takes to chill wort vs water? If so, what are we looking at for a 1.050 wort?

Thanks!

Back