New or Reconditioned Ball Lock Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and am about to purchase a keg system with a party tap faucet and 5lb Co2 tank. I'm on the fence as to wether to purchase a new or a used/reconditioned keg.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=726

Based on searches, I've read that the poppets are very difficult to remove on the new Italian made kegs. Would this create any long term issues?

The difference in price between new vs reconditioned appears to be +/- $30 when purchasing as a complete kit.

Can anyone comment on the Italian made kegs at the link above as compared to a reconditioned keg? i.e. durability, steel thickness, etc.

All of my kegs are reconditioned and no issues so far. I got my set up from Beveridge elements and the kegs all had brand new rubber and were holding pressure when they arrived via UPS. I would recomend that you have a set of orings on hand just in case you cut one sealing the lid or pinch one on the fittings. Thats just good practice to prevent panic management. I also keep a tube of food grade silicone to lube alll my rubber parts afyer a start san bath. Have a look at BE if you havent already. I think the kit was 139 and the spare kegs were 2 for about 75 delivered IIRC. Good luck
Bob

I have 8 kegs and all are reconditioned and I have never had a problem. For the price of a new one you should be able to get 2 reons for about the same price if you look around a little.

I have 8 kegs and all are reconditioned and I have never had a problem. For the price of a new one you should be able to get 2 reons for about the same price if you look around a little.

Yes, they are stainless. With the exception of some o-rings, used is just as good as new. Finding them is the problem usually. I have over 20 with no issues.

Reconditioned Ball locks are as good as new (if you don't need the new shiny keg look, that is:D), and they save you a pile. :ban:

Back