Beerswap 2007: My Review of EdWort's Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was the second of two bottles of beer that I swapped with EdWort...the first being his Stone IPA Clone.

The family got together tonight for a quick dinner of some lemon grilled chicken breast and some flashed fried whole wheat pasta with garlic and basil.

So we get the chicken in off the grill and everyting is sliced and ready to serve and that's bout the time I decide it's time to crack open this Kolsch from Ed.

I reach into the fridge and pull out my favorite 16 Oz chilled pilsner glass. Time to pop the top and no surprise...there's a nice solid fsssst of CO2 from the bottle.

The beer poured very nicely with a swirl of fine CO2 bubbles running from the bottom of the glass to the top. Within about 12 seconds, the CO2 settled to a nice 1 inch head...very white and very frothy. The beer was a bright yellow and clear with just a slight hint of chill haze...typical of a Kolsch yeast beer. CO2 was effervesing very aggressively from the side and bottom of the glass.

I take a whiff and...nice. Very mellow. No real hops "attack" and a slight malt undertone. Without even taking a drink I can tell this is going to have "crisp pilsner" written all over it.

First sip was just after a sample of my grilled chicken so I was thirsty and WOW...very refreshing. Very "bright" in flavor. The mellow tone of the hops was perfectly balanced by the crisp cold carbonation.

I gave my SWMBO a small galss to sample and in typical SWMBO fashion she remarked..."this is better than yours...did you get the recipe???".

I recon that about sums up the overall review of this great beer. When the SWMBO has a Kolsch named after her "Colleen's Kolsch" and she declares another's Kolsch is better...that must be a good beer.

Hats off to Ed for another great beer...and for those of you fortunate enough to get some of his brews in the "swap"...consider yourselves lucky.

Ed also sent me a bomber of his Kolsch. I popped it during the ballgame tonight. All I can say is, OMFG what an awesome brew! Nice frothy head, nice lacing through the entire three glasses that the bomber produced. Smelled great, tasted nice and crisp from start to finish. Hops and malt balanced perfectly. I only wish I had a couple more of those! Well done, Ed!

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed them. It scored well at the Alamo Cerveza Fest, but was out of style for a Kolsch since it was so well attenuated and it has a higher IBU level.

It's strange, but to me, it tastes like a German Pilsener, but made with an Ale yeast. I guess I ought to change the name, but it's darn quaffable any way to look at it.

EdWort said:
Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed them. It scored well at the Alamo Cerveza Fest, but was out of style for a Kolsch since it was so well attenuated and it has a higher IBU level.

It's strange, but to me, it tastes like a German Pilsener, but made with an Ale yeast. I guess I ought to change the name, but it's darn quaffable any way to look at it.

Hey Ed, I know i'm new here, but i hope someday i'm worthy enough to try that brew. Kolsch is one of my favorites. Cheers...

Back