Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I still regularly buy keystone light because my wife likes it and I enjoy cheap beer as the night winds down so I don't waste home brew that seems like lately I haven't had the time to brew. When I was on active duty traveling a lot a senior guy once told me:
Don't ever turn down sleep because you don't know when will be the next time to rest.
Don't ever turn down food because you don't know when you will be able to eat again. And.
Don't ever turn down a beer because it may be you last.
I still live my life to this code! Cheers Chopps.

My dad was in the infantry during WW2, and was told by a sergeant:

-Never walk when you can ride.

-Never stand when you can sit.

-Never sit when you can lie down...

BUT, if the beer you had before that (rather it be hours/days/weeks) was something good, then at least you can say your last beer wasnt BMC

All in all I'd rather be just finishing my last beer when I go, regardless of what it is. :D

Just because you don't like it doesn't nobody else does, either. I -- like MANY OTHERS on this site -- love a good craft beer, but I don't turn down a cold Bud Light, either.

I really wish people would descend from their elevated equines on this one. All it does is make you look like pretentious snobs. Have we learned nothing from the wine crowd?

High horse my ass! I just can't stand the stuff. BMC tastes like crap to me. I'm well aware that many other folks like it, and that many homebrewers with good taste in beer would rather drink that than nothing. That's fine, drink up. It's not a principle thing for me, I just hate the taste of it. Most BMC gives me a headache too. So I don't drink it. Just because I personally hate the stuff doesn't make me a snob though. I hate IPAs and stouts too. I never said you (or anyone) shouldn't drink it, and I don't judge you because you do. That would make me a snob. RDWHAHB!

JoeyChopps said:
I would rather a BMC over a soda or water!

To each their own.
I'd rather my last drink be a Coca Cola than an American light lager. But that's just my opinion. Some people really enjoy them and there's nothing wrong with that.

Funny my comment started this big debate on beer taste. I never disparaged BMC. I just compared it to water. I see that as reality, not being snooty. I drink water too. If it's 98 degrees, I was parched and someone offered me a light lager or something big, heavy and boozy then I'd probably take the BMC. In most situations, I wouldn't choose that way.

Last year when my dad had his stroke and we had to go out and make hard choices, I was staying at my mom's house after a few days at the hospital. She had some Miller Lite tallboys that one of my cousins had left behind last time they visited. I wanted a bit of alcohol in my blood stream and that's what was available so I drank 'em. There's always a use for everything.

You guys are funny getting all fussy over the BMC conversation. Give me a tall glass of cheese whiz on a hot day.

Watching a Craig Ferguson special on Netflix and he mentioned a twelve pack of Guinness...in my mind thats only 4 homebrews :drunk:

I, too, get the BMC headache. So a funny thing I heard about beer was when some friends and we were eating out. They only had BMC and Sam Adams. My friend orders Stella and tells me I just have to try it. I explain that it gives me a headache, and he says, "Oh...that's probably because it has so much hops, or it may be the high alcohol."

Um. Ok.

Company party Saturday Night:
"This beer is really filling" as he sets down his Stella Artois.

At a Pub for a council member running for mayor:
Me: What do you have for beer?
Owner: Just Bud Light back here. All other beers at happy hour price at the main bar.
Me: Ok I'll head to the bar.
Owner: Hey I cant let you walk around with out a drink (pours 1/2 a glass of Bud Light) besides its free.
Me: Ok I'll follow your lead
Owner: I put the Bud Light back here to finish the keg knowing most of the crowd is older generation and this is what they drink.
Later on...
Owner: You ever get to the bar?
Me: Yes and my $6 beer was a true $6 pour.
Owner: Good I cant stand the expensive bars with cheap pours.

Well to get things on track, I have a buddy who won't drink anything unless it's bud light from a bottle (yes no draft and no can). We were talking beer as I was giving samples of my Heady clone and my Oak Yeti clone, he says "the higher alcohol comes from more hops" :smack:

True if you need CBA to define things for you. I just go by my taste buds.

Also add in when the definition of who is craft changes based on their year end production (Sam Adams for example) there is never a line to cross into big brewery. :D

Well to get things on track, I have a buddy who won't drink anything unless it's bud light from a bottle (yes no draft and no can). We were talking beer as I was giving samples of my Heady clone and my Oak Yeti clone, he says "the higher alcohol comes from more hops" :smack:

I always get a kick out of reading the ones where a non brewer tries to give a bit of insight on the brewing process to a homebrewer.

So few people have the slightest idea what hops are or why they're in beer. Not long after I started HB-ing, I was talking to one of my wife's uncles about it. He was asking questions about the process and wanted to know what the hops were. I started to explain to him that they were a flower that you boil with everything else to add bitterness and flavor, and he wrinkled up his nose and got this look on his face like, "you put FLOWERS in your beer?!"

Well, yeah. Even your Bud Light has it, even if in smaller proportions.

^ Seeds, flowers, and a monocellular fungus- but mostly a not well understood chemical known as hydric acid. Everything is weird if you start to think about it.... thinking, itself is weirder than flowers in beer. Love the name and the avatar btw.

Recently was told by a friend's brother that he thought the sediment in some beers was barley flour gunk and fruit pulp. When I told him it was yeast he seemed less grossed out.

Also had somebody tell me how awesome hop honey was.... hops are wind pollinated- no nectar.

^ Seeds, flowers, and a monocellular fungus- but mostly a not well understood chemical known as hydric acid. Everything is weird if you start to think about it.... thinking, itself is weirder than flowers in beer. Love the name and the avatar btw.

Recently was told by a friend's brother that he thought the sediment in some beers was barley flour gunk and fruit pulp. When I told him it was yeast he seemed less grossed out.

Also had somebody tell me how awesome hop honey was.... hops are wind pollinated- no nectar.

My post on the "What is the weirdest thing you've ever brewed thread"...

I take grains, soak them in hot water until they give up their juices. Then I boil that with flowers for an hour and then let it sit for weeks while I allow microorganisms digest it. Then I drink what they leave behind.

When you really think about it... How much weirder does it get?

Well,actually(!),the wind can pollinate many flowers. But the bees,collecting pollen as well,do tend to pollinate them as well. Some of the pollen that sticks to their hind legs gets into the overies of the flowers & does it's thing. I've never watched hops growing to see if they do or not...but it is possible I suppose?...

My family gave me a hillbilli card for my birthday simply because it said "doe mestic beer" on it. Then proceeded to ask me if I was bringing some of my beer to christmas, even though they still didn't drink what I gave them over a month ago and no one in the family drinks "micro brew". Haha...ya, no.

I went to a Mexican restaurant with my son and wife a few days ago. The menu said they had modelo , dos equis, corona, Budweiser, coors, ect. Then it said they had widmer hef and redhook esb on tap. I asked for the widmer and they said they didn't have any. Same with the red hook so I went with the water.

i just hate when people describe any full flavored beer as hoppy. huge peeve of mine. i've heard beers like guinness, bud select and heineken described this way.

I went to a Mexican restaurant with my son and wife a few days ago. The menu said they had modelo , dos equis, corona, Budweiser, coors, ect. Then it said they had widmer hef and redhook esb on tap. I asked for the widmer and they said they didn't have any. Same with the red hook so I went with the water.

Modelo isn't bad--if it's Negra. I'd choose that over the Red Hook.

i just hate when people describe any full flavored beer as hoppy. huge peeve of mine. i've heard beers like guinness, bud select and heineken described this way.

I'd be hesitant to call any of those "full flavored," but I agree with your point.

An acquaintance of mine just posted a pic on FB of a bottle of Irish Death next to a frosty mug. The mug was a full and looked like it was supposed to be a root beer float. I didn't make any comments on the bizarre way he was enjoying his beer, but later his wife posted that he does that because the beer is "so yeasty."

Back