Does this sound good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotBMP

Reaction score
I'm using Pro Mash for the first time to formulate my own recipe. Does this sound good? I'm aiming for a Cherry Wheat.

Hot Summer Wheat

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

17-A Wheat Beer, Bavarian Weizen

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 9 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.33
Anticipated SRM: 4.1
Anticipated IBU: 13.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 5.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 2.63 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.087 SG 20.80 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Coarse Grind As Is.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 77.50 2
10.0 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 60.88 4

Potential represented as % Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 2.5 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 9.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 1.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1010 American Wheat

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.00
Water Qts: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

:mug:

Sounds good, but I doubt you'll get it out of the MLT. Wheat is sticky; rye is stickier. You'll probably want at least 30% (and maybe more like 50%) malted barley in there (pils, maybe) Or I guess you could toss a bunch of rice hulls in your existing grain bill, but I don;t know if that will work.

Where's the cherry come from?

And the hop choices are a little odd (most Am Wheats use noble hops, or more citrusy american hops) but if you like the English hops (I do), go for it!

EDIT: noticed that you chose the bavarian weizen category, but american wheat yeast. If you're after a bavarian weizen, there's a lot more things you might want to change.

Thanks! What category do I select from ProMash? Also, where do I find what hops represents what flavors (you mentioned citrusy, etc..). Should I change the grain bill? I want to truly understand how to pick ingredients rather than just throw something in there to make the numbers right. Also, I'm thinking 5# of cherries in the secondary.

PilotBMP said:
Thanks! What category do I select from ProMash?
Try 06-D American Wheat or Rye beer

PilotBMP said:
Also, where do I find what hops represents what flavors (you mentioned citrusy, etc..).
I'd start with the Wiki. You can also Google "hop varieties", and you'll get some good info. Finally, most of the online HBS have descriptions of the different types of hops.

PilotBMP said:
Should I change the grain bill? I want to truly understand how to pick ingredients rather than just throw something in there to make the numbers right. Also, I'm thinking 5# of cherries in the secondary.

Look in the recipe database here for what others have done, and use that as a guide. Also, the BJCP guideliines can be helpful. Finally, you might want to listen to some of the podcasts here

I feel like you are getting ahead of yourself. If brewing a wheat for the first time, simplify. Start with just a basic two row and split with 50% wheat. Could go higher on the wheat percentage but would just play it safe. 50/50 should provide a good sparge and effiency. 10lb grain bill should yield a 1.045-1.050 o.g. for a 5 gallon batch.

For cherry flavor, look into some extract. Eventhough this is the most artificial tasting extracts it will be the easiest and cheapest. Fresh or even 5lbs of canned cherries is going to be a good expense and an all or nothing deal. Once added to your secondary there is no looking back. With an extract you can pull a glass of fermented wort from primary and make small additions at a time of extract to your glass and taste until you find a ratio you like than scale it up to find what you need to add for the primary.

Hops I don't really see as a concern. Your selection are small additons and low alpha acids, not going to make or break the beer.

Yeast selection is more for a traditional Bavarian wheat and not a cherry but not going to make a bad beer. It will make it harder for the cherry aroma and flavor to come through. An American ale yeast will open it up.

Back