One more newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamLaw

Reaction score
Hi again-

So I just racked my first perry, which I posted about a couple of days ago, and I gotta say, it smells kinda funky. Not George Clinton funky, more like gym socks funky. Or farts. Something not good. Tastes ok, just has a not very pleasant odor about it. Question is - any chance it'll clear up, or is it a goner? Anything I can do to increase the chances of it turning out ok?

Thanks,
Adam

Details -
Started with ~70 lb pears to get 5 gallons fresh pressed pear juice. Added 5 campden tablets, let stand 48 h. Added 3 lb sugar dissolved in 1 qt water to get an O.G. of 1070, 5 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 package of Red Star yeast. Fermentation started within 24 h and was really cranking by 48. Three days later it stopped dead, checked FG a couple of days later and got 1000 and a funky smell. Racked it.

I suspect the odor will lessen. I wonder if it was the yeast? Isn't red star a bread yeast? You might want to purchase a dried ale yeast for the next batch. Cooper's and Mouton's are cheap and work fairly well.

It was a Montrachet yeast. Red Star makes a lot of different types of yeast, I think. I hope you're right about the odor. It was definitely much stronger in the sediment, so maybe it'll just settle out.

Back