Kettle Tube/False bottom; vinyl tube with holes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I am replacing my kettle tube for my mash tun. I had been using a braided metal hose, but it is a pain to clean, collapses, and is difficult to see if I got all the grit out of. I am working on replacing it.

I was thinking that instead of using a braided metal hose I use food-grade vinyl tubing. I would punch a bunch of tiny holes all along it, and I would then be able to see if it is clean after use as it is clear.

Any ideas on why this might not be a good idea? If it seems solid, what size holes should I be making? Thanks for any feedback!

vinyl is almost never rated for high temperature, and i would assume that it would loose its food-grade rating if used over the recomended temperature.

i would look for something else to use. i use a loop of thin-walled silicone tube with holes similar to what you describe as a sparge arm sometimes. i dont think it would work below the grains though. you might be able to use a thick-walled silicone tube if you were careful in hole size and placement.

That was my concern, that at higher temperatures it would start to leach out chemicals.

As for the PVC/Copper manifold, I was wanting something flexible that wouldn't get in the way. I think I am gonig to go down that road anyways. Easy to clean, so there we go!

If I used a braided hose, I'd find a stainless steel spring to slip inside it if it was prone to collapsing. I definitely wouldn't use anything made of vinyl in a boiler...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. My SS did collapse, next time I will spring it. Trying a PVC manifold, seeing if it is handy or just gets in the way.

Mmmm....PVC in a boiling environment....

Already had all the kids you're planning on having, then?

Cheers! ;)

OK, I have heard that PVC is perfectly fine for mash tun manifolds. This is going to have water no warmer than 175F. Not boiling.

Have I heard wrong?

For a mash tun manifold it is best to use CPVC. Just make sure not to glue the joints and it easily dismantles for cleaning. (first post woo hoo!)

Back