don't know if i should be worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameape44

Reaction score
I have only made a couple brews so my inexperience is still breeding a little paranoia in me. I know every brew is different, however, the last couple that I did fermented wildly for several days. I started an IPA last week and when I rehydrated the yeast there was very little reaction, not nearly the foaming,etc. that I got the previous times. It bubbled like crazy for the first day and a half. I had a blow off tube at this point and after that day and a half it started bubbling very infrequently. By the forth day there was no bubbling sound coming from the hose/bucket no matter how long I sat there. After about 4 days I switched to a 3 piece air lock, and for the 5 days since then I have not seen a single bubble in the airlock, it's as if nothing is happening at all. My original gravity was 1.065 and when I checked the gravity on day 7 it was at 1.015. Just wondering what ya'll think about the status of this brew, I love IPA's and really want this one to turn out! :/

It could possible be done fermenting, but now the yeast have to "clean up" the beer, if the FG remains the same for three readings it has done fermenting. But still let it age for a couple weeks. Patience and time are your allies. Good luck happy brewing.

What yeast did you use? What temp did it ferment at?

when I checked the gravity on day 7 it was at 1.015.

This is the ONLY important information. That's why you take gravity readings, and ignore airlock activity and anything else. Just the numbers on the hydrometer.

Which showed that everything is fine...you have fermentation.

An airlock bubbles or don't bubble for various reasons, change in atmospheric pressure, change in temp, the cat brushing against the fermenter, it doesn't mean anything whatsoever. SO it should be relied upon....

It sounds like it is doing just fine. Bubbling is not a good tool to measure the fermentation process. I have had brews that bubbled in my airlock for less than 24 hours and then the remainder of the time nothing. I have also had beers finish fermentation in a couple days, which sounds like the case with yours. There are a lot of variables that factor into fermentation duration. Yeast, temperature, beer type etc. My first few beers bubbled like crazy for the first 24-36 hours and then came to a halt. Great beers. I just made a sam Adams clone that bubbled for almost 10 days. The only consistency is the lack of consistency.

Wait till you get a stable FG & let it sit 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. Then prime & bottle oyu want to get hoppy beers into bottle/keg asap. Just get a stable FG & clean up time before doing so. 3-5 days is plenty for clean up/settling to occur,ime. This way,you'll retain more hop flavor when it's ready to drink.

Back