Cider won't start fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarredmind

Reaction score
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I set this one down the evening of Apr 24.

Ingredients 5 gallons fresh pressed no preservatives apple cider (I did not campden tablet the mix however, and they insist there is no potassium sorbate in it)
2 Packs expired (it expired in Jan 09) Lalvin d47 (I placed it in 1.5 cups warm water to rehydrate it before pitching) and it seemed ok then
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme

I placed this in my plastic bucket primary (everything sanitized of course) and let it go. Nothing happened (though there is a massive amount of sediment at the bottom of the fermenter). It is worth pointing out that the day after this started we were hit by a heat wave and the house got into the mid/high 80's for a few days before we got back to more seasonal cool temperatures.

Since it hadn't started bubbling by May 1, I picked up a fresh packet of Lalvin D47, and pitched that dry on May 2.

Still nothing, I opened it up and there is a yeasty smell to it, and there seems to be some bubbles on the top (they aren't popping, I don't want to call it slime, but there is something I feel I could skim off the top)

Any ideas? I am stumped!

I made a 1 gallon batch of this using store bought no preservatives apple juice and had wonderful results (because it was already clear I didn't add the pectic enzyme).

Thanks!!

PS the Mead I made the same evening is going wonderfully, so at least that did work for me :-D

The water was warm to the touch, not hot, so I estimate in the 80-90 degree range, though I did not keep exact measurements on that part.

OG was 1.054 I will have the current SG as soon as my equipment is sanitized.

Assuming this is a leak, the solution would be to rack it to an airtight carboy correct? Or should I let it sit in the primary longer? Will it hurt the cider if I rack it "too soon". Also is there any reason to not leave the sediment behind?

Much appreciated. Back soon with SG

Yup, SG is reading close to 1.000 right now, looks like a leak... time to buy a new primary.

My other questions stand tho. Rack it? leave the sediment? etc

Thanks!!

Air leak in early primary is OK. I don't airlock until secondary. Sometimes I primary in a bucket with a towel draped on top. Go ahead and rack after 2-4 weeks to a carboy (glass or PET) then make sure you have an air tight seal. Then age for 3-12 months...

And the hydrometer calms another soul....
What a tool, without it I could not sleep at night.
Best of luck, sounds like it will be interesting with two yeast types, please post how it ends up.

Back