Woodchuck Dry Hop Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
Hey all. Just got a growler of Woodchuck dry hop at Whole Foods. Guess it's my first Graff. Pretty good. Surprised as I'm not big on hops.

Pretty sure it isn't a graff, just a dry hopped cider. It has to have some sort of malt in it and Woodchuck can't have malt in their facility because cider is a wine license in the states an it would be illegal. Colorado Cider does something similar with lemongrass and hops. I'll have to keep an eye out for it if it ever hits Denver. I'm not much of a Woodchuck drinker anymore, but their seasonal and limited ciders are usually pretty good.

I don't like woodchuck usually, but this was ok and their limited edition Belgian cider is delicious.

I still get the fall and summer when they are available, the Belgian was pretty good and I want to see if I can find their ginger. I tend to get more Angry Orchard as far as mass produced stuff goes now, I can't drink more than a couple WC's a night. Way too much sugar.

I like Angry Orchard. It, Crispin, and Strongbow are my favorites. Drinking a strongbow right now. Recently tried Thirsty Cross from Scotland which was good. Julian hard cider from CA I had this weekend. It was ok. Very clear in color.

Pretty sure it isn't a graff
It's not Brandon O's Graff, but it could be graf, all the same. "Graff" (spelled "graf" by Stephen King) is a fantasy inspired beverage, owing its roots to the Dark Tower/Gunslinger series of books by Stephen King. Descriptions of it in the books are sparse and vague.

See: http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Graf

Read the wiki article and I'm sticking to my guns, even the vague description said it was some combination of malty beer and apple wine or cider. I'd go further but we are probably both right because a graf can be whatever we think it is.

I didn't intend to start an argument so much as point out that there are no style guidelines for graff - Brandon's recipe is simply an interpretation of a fictitious beverage. Also, the only mention of malt in the wiki article is in the paragraph about modern homebrew recipes.

Regardless, dry hopped cider sounds unappealing to me, but I'm open minded enough to give it a shot. It'd be interesting at the very least.

While we're on the subject, give Éphémère Apple a try. It's a cider/beer concoction by Unibroue that I rather enjoy.

Yuri_Rage said:
I didn't intend to start an argument so much as point out that there are no style guidelines for graff - Brandon's recipe is simply an interpretation of a fictitious beverage. Also, the only mention of malt in the wiki article is in the paragraph about modern homebrew recipes.

Regardless, dry hopped cider sounds unappealing to me, but I'm open minded enough to give it a shot. It'd be interesting at the very least.

While we're on the subject, give Éphémère Apple a try. It's a cider/beer concoction by Unibroue that I rather enjoy.

Never heard of it or seen it.

It's the same brewer that makes fin du monde, Tori's pistoles, maudite, etc. They're based out of Montreal - if you live outside the northeast you may not have seen it.

I've seen la fin du monda and the others, but never their apple. Ironically was just talking about la fin to a buddy right before I read your post as I had some last weekend.

Latest posts

Back