I received an exciting offer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonNative

Reaction score
I've been offered to apprentice under two professional brewers out here in Louisville. I guess the proper term would be "job shadowing" since I am not being paid. I am super excited to learn from them though, and I think its going to be a great experience. I plan to go to UC-Davis for their professional brewing program once I have all my pre-req's out of the way. Their both super nice, explain everything and answer any questions I have.

I have only worked with these guys once so far, but I should be heading back in very soon. It was a lot of fun! I will say... if you guys think home brew santation sucks.. give commercial brewing sanitation a try! ;) I cleaned (2) 15 bbl fermenters, helped filter and store (keg?), a 15 bbl of pale ale, and cleaned the bu-Jesus out of everything in sight. It was great! :D

I have a couple pictures here for you guys. They were kind enough to let me snap a couple with my phone while we were in between work. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures, I'll try to get more when I am able too.

Cheers guys!
Pat

15bbfermenters.jpg

Awesome! Congrats!

Cumberland? BBC? Browning's? And when can I come for a tour? ;)

Congrats! Enjoy it. Brew-Intern (or Brew-Slave) is hard work, but under the tutelage of some master Brewers, you will gain some awesome experience if this is the field in which you want to work.

Hey everyone,
Boo, Thanks a ton bro! I'm very excited too! I hope everything works out for the best.

Gila, Thanks! It pretty sure it counts as volunteer work. I'm able to put it on a resume, if I apply to a brewery.

Rick, Hey brother! It's BBC's. I could ask for ya man hehehe. ;) If Sam is working, if he usually will let people come take a peek once in a while. I'm not sure about Jerry though.

Ed, thanks a lot man! Believe me.. when I'm there they put me to work. They make me work hard, but I am loving every second of it. I'm learning so much, and I couldn't be happier. I'd be super happy if I could make brewing my career. Like I mentioned before I plan to go to UC-Davis for their brewing program once my pre-reqs are completed.

Here are a few more pictures. I'm sorry that their so blurry. It was hot, wet, and my phone was steaming up I think. You should still be able to make out the pictures though hehe.

Me spraying the inside of a 15 bbl fermenter. Not a great picture...
15bbl3.jpg

Getting ready to spray hot water through the beer transfer line to sanitize it, before extracting and running the beer though a filter.
15bbl1.jpg

Beer filtration system. Its hard to describe how it works. Basically the beer gets run though screens, and powdered rock (which solidifies) until all that comes through is crystal clear beer. It takes a while for the beer to run though until its ready to run itself. At a certain point it will take care of itself when you get the filter dialed in then it runs through the filter a bit and we open the transfer hose which takes it to the back to be stored.
15bbl2.jpg

See if you can roll one of these out of there. (Kidding!)

Are you at Clay St.?

(And just kidding, I won't come bug you. Well. Maybe. :))

Back