How to make an original recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
My question is how does one create their own recipe from scratch. So far I have followed others recipes and I have made clones as well but how do I start with just nothing and decide exact amount of X grain + Y grain + Z hops = :mug: ?

I bought beersmith but do I just shoot from the hip and trust the program or is there a method to some of your all's madness?

Generally it's not unlike cooking - you follow enough recipes, you get an idea of what you get out when you put what in. And it's generally going to taste like beer, though it may or may not taste like what you thought it would.

If you have an experimental science mindset, that helps, and keeping good records of what went into your recipes (and later on, what they taste like) helps with seeing what works, what doesn't, and what makes a difference, and what doesn't.

There's also the "what needs to be used up" recipe, where you tidy the dregs of stuff in storage into beer, and see what comes out.

I generally see what other people have made by searching around the internet, once you have a good average in mind of a style it is fairly straightforward to alter it to your liking. Brew a batch, keep notes on your process so you can tweak it next time if it wasn't quite right.

I would hazard to say that there are very few if any recipes that are truly original though, it seems like everyone has tried just about every variation you can think of.

It is very much like cooking.

Learn what you like.
Learn how it is made.
Learn what the individual ingredients add
Decide what you'd like
Make it and see if it can be improved.

You need to know what does what and what compliments what.

My question is how does one create their own recipe from scratch. So far I have followed others recipes and I have made clones as well but how do I start with just nothing and decide exact amount of X grain + Y grain + Z hops = :mug: ?

I bought beersmith but do I just shoot from the hip and trust the program or is there a method to some of your all's madness?

Because you have BeerSmith, you can do a couple of things.
First, you can put someone else's recipe in, make it, and then modify the recipe to suit your tastes.

Second, another cool thing about BeerSmith is that you can choose a style of beer you want to make and it will automatically populate things like the OG/ FG, color and IBU for that style.

So, for instance, you can choose "6B American Amber Ale" and it will tell you the OG is supposed to be "1.045-1.056 SG". As you're adding ingredients, you can watch to see how the "Orig Gravity Estimate" changes as you choose ingredients. If you vary too far out of range, "Style OG" will turn bold to let you know.

Another cool part about BeerSmith is that it supplies tooltips for the ingredients to fill you in on their characteristics, common uses, etc. This is especially useful for hops and yeasts.

Together these features will let you easily come up with recipes that you can continually tweak to make your own.

My question is how does one create their own recipe from scratch.

This is a good start...

Designing Great Beers.jpg

Here is my method laid out into basic steps. Beersmith is a pretty important part:

1. Look at other peoples' recipes for beers that you feel are similar to the one you want to create. Look at ingredients, gravities, etc.

2. Figure out what malt flavors you'd like to have, and then what specialty grains you want to include. For instance, 1 lb crystal 60, 1/2 lb flaked wheat, 2oz black patent, etc.

3. Decide on a %ABV and body charactaristics, and add base malt or extract to reach an OG and decide on a mash profile that will result in the appropriate FG and %ABV. Now look at what percent each specialty grain is of the total fermentables and adjust if necessary.

4. Decide on how much bitterness you want, hop flavor, aroma, and what varieties. Add hops.

5. Choose a yeast to fit your desired flavor profile, temp requirements, attenuation and flocculation requirements.

6. Choose your desired carbonation level, the temp of the beer at bottling, and you'll have your priming sugar amount.

Obviously a book will take you way deeper. You can get down to water profile etc, but this is a start and it's my basic method.

Proportioning, that is the thorn in my brewing side. I always have trouble figuring out how much f each grain to add to get the exact flavor I want. So it takes a few batches to get it exactly right.

For example, I will see Pale ale recipes that are pretty similar, but one person will use a pound of the crystal malt, while the other uses 10oz. In the end I wonder who is in the right? Which recipe would be correct under BJCP standards? Which recipe would a microbrewery say is acceptable to sell? So many dilemmas!!!

Proportioning, that is the thorn in my brewing side. I always have trouble figuring out how much f each grain to add to get the exact flavor I want. So it takes a few batches to get it exactly right.

For example, I will see Pale ale recipes that are pretty similar, but one person will use a pound of the crystal malt, while the other uses 10oz. In the end I wonder who is in the right? Which recipe would be correct under BJCP standards? Which recipe would a microbrewery say is acceptable to sell? So many dilemmas!!!

Who is in the right? If you think there's a right recipe for a style, maybe you don't "get" beer.:D

I'm kidding of course, but really there are so many recipes that make good beer.

ray daniels book is great and will definitely help.

like others said, the best way is to just look at other recipes, taste grains along the way, brew often and take notes.

i started off designing recipes after just a few clone kits. i made some really bad batches due to overuse of certain ingredients, but learned a lot very quickly. i can design recipes for certain styles from scratch now.

there are certain style guidelines, which you can find on bjcp.org

let's take a german weissbier as an example:

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.044 – 1.052
IBUs: 8 – 15
FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 2 – 8
ABV: 4.3 – 5.6%

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

so, to make a traditional german weissbier, i could go with a 60/40 blend of wheat/pilsner and use enough to fall within the OG. i would want to use just enough hops (only for bittering) to fall in the IBU range. color and abv should work accordingly. use the appropriate yeast, plug it into promash and i've got:

German Weissbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.049 Plato: 12.18
Anticipated SRM: 3.3
Anticipated IBU: 12.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.41 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.0 6.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
40.0 4.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.60 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 12.1 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.00
Water Qts: 16.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.60 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 155 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.80 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

converted to partial mash:

German Weissbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Grain (Lbs): 8.00
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.30
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.52 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

37.5 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8
37.5 3.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
25.0 2.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2

Hops

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.00
Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.60 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 155 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.40 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

converted to extract:

German Weissbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Total Extract (Lbs): 6.00
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.43
Anticipated SRM: 6.6

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG 10.63 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

100.0 6.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8

Hops

Yeast
-----

hope that helps :mug:

Back