aging bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

I just brewed a russian imperial stout and am going to age it.

Whats the best way to age it? In a secondary fermenter? In bottles? If I were to age them in bottles, would I want to keep them refrigerated after the 3 week point, or could I put them in the fridge for awhile, then take them out and age them in the dark till I cant stand it anymore?

Thanks for any advice!

People say that bulk aging does benefit the beer more. The beer will age faster and take a more mature taste if you leave it for longer the 3 weeks, and a RIS will need more time then that, think months and months. Once you make it cold it will slow the aging process ALOT.

Aging in the secondary would be optimum. This allows you to bulk age it, while still giving it the ability to clear up before bottling. When I age my bottles, I just leave them all in a closet until I have some room for them in the fridge and I'm ready to drink them. They will age better in warmer conditions where the cold will slow down the aging process.

Back