First apfelwein oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
Well I decided to brew my first batch of apfelwein tonight because I was bored and my primary is full. I used a 2gallon HDPE water container from walmart. Only cost $2 and a stopper fit after taking out the spout perfectly. I figured Id start with a smaller batch to see if I like it. I was enjoying a bottle of Oaked Arrogant Bastard and helping my wife make a batch of sourdough at the same time so needless to say I was a little distracted. To make a long story short I forgot to reduce the amount of dextrose from Eds recipe to account for the smaller batch:drunk: OG ended up at 1.084 (yes it was well mixed). At least I pitched a whole packet of well hydrated montrachet, and areated the hell out of it. I think I may have made a little rocket fuel. I have one question, what is the alcohol tolerance of the montrachet? I have a couple packets of Redstar champagne just in case it doesnt fully attenuate. This one may have to sit for a while:mug:

Oh,you'll be fine with the montrachet- that will take it dry. I use montrachet all the time for wines in the 12-13% ABV range. It'll be dry, and "hot" for a little, though, and taste more "wine like" than apfelwein. It actually sound good!

yeah i figured it would be fine thanks for the encouragement. Teaches me to not drink and brew and bake bread. I guess Ill have to only do 2 things at once.

yeah sourdough apfelwein might be a little nasty or maybe your on to something. Kinda like a lambic. I was sure to keep the brewing and baking on seperate counters and am very careful about sanitization. Maybe someone can get brave and try the sourdofelwein or is it apfeldough?;)

The biggest mistake you made was only making 2 gallons. :D

I speak from experience, my first batch was 2 gallons. I tasted it when I bottled, said "Holy Cow!!" and got 5 gallons going the next day! That was about 25 gallons ago.

yeah Ive read that post before:D. Apfelwein is happily bubbling away today. Now I only have to wait.

After this sits for about a month I was thinking about racking over to a secondary for bulk ageing. It is a 2 gallon batch and I have a 3gallon carboy. Should I rack the 2 gallons onto 1gallon of fresh juice or leave it be?

Took a hydrometer reading today it was 1.002. Another couple weeks and it should be done fermenting:mug: Tasted great just a little alcohol twang. Considering that its at about 10.8% abv right now it will be pretty dangerous. Im going to let this age for awhile and start a new batch in my 3gal carboy:ban:

You'll know when it's done, as it will go completely clear again. I wouldn't bother with the secondary, it's really not necessary for Apfelwein as it will clear up beautifully right in the primary and leave a perfectly white, silty yeast cake.

You're right to let it age a good long time, particularly with the extra "kick" you inadvertently gave it. OTOH, don't bother with a new 3 gallon batch...get 5 gallons going! :rockin:

Took a sample today. Its crystal clear with SG @ 0.996. I think it is pretty close to done fermenting so I am thinking about bottling it this weekend and letting it age in the bottle for about 6 monts. I was thinking of carbing with 1/2 can of apple concentrate for a little more apply goodness. ABV is 11.7% at this point and the sample I tasted it was hardly noticable with a faint fruity/apply backnote. Its gonna be good:rockin:

Back