Wort Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

Reaction score
Although I have made a couple batches of beer, and they have turned out just fine, I have a question about wort cooling. Our local home brewing stores instructions tell you to leave the top on your kettle while you are cooling the wort. After seeing a wort cooler it looks like it would be tough to leave the top on with a hose coming out of the top. Am I missing something? I am still really new at this. Thanks for the help!

With the wort chiller inserted in the pot, you just place the lid on top. It will not seal completely due to the lines but it will help keep some nasties out.

Ric said:
Thanks for the info!

Cut a notch into your lid. This will make for a better seal. Homebrewing supply shops actually sell them like this.

I cut notches in my lid. Since stainless is so hard, I drilled holes first and then sawed the lip.

yea, most just set it on top and have a crack. some notch out for the chiller lines for a flush fit. i think maybe sabco industries makes notches lids for kettle (www.kegs.com) and maybe polarware too? might be wrong, but i know i've seen 'em in brew gear mag's.

Back