Day out in Stockport.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a trip yesterday. I took the camera for you guys but forgot the memory card!

I live an hour away from a national park.
w-manifold-east_midlands-places-peakdistrict-gallery_picture

It just so happens that half way on route is the only good HBS around.
When SWMBO wants a trip out you can imagine where we head for.

Another reason it seemed like a good idea is there is a Camra Pub of the year near by and some other very good Ale pubs.

The Nursery Inn at Heaton Norris sells Jekyll's beer
8320ae3eaa6a818c928393576ab518cf.jpg

Half of a Jekyll's gold
image1yt2.jpg

Hydes Jekyll's Gold
(4.3% abv)

An outstanding refreshing premium ale.
Its pale blonde colour and citrus character being its hallmark.

Tasting Notes
jekyllsgold_chart.jpg

The next pub wasn't a picturesque place a "Locals pub" but on recommendations and quotes like these:

Oh Yes!! still the business.Superbly maintained beer,great selection-the lack of attention to non regulars at the bar could do with a tweak-but well worth the visit.

EdgarBriggsMI5 - 2 Aug 2007 01:58
Pub's life has been prolonged another few years,again, which is great news. Astounding choice of ales, and an all-round belting pub.

Carlurmston - 5 Jun 2007 14:23
Great Porter's ales and great value prices. Superb choice of Irish whiskeys - much more than the usual Jameson and Bushmills. Excellent.

wobblybob - 30 Dec 2006 11:48
One of the best pubs in the country. The beer range is astonishing and is always in great condition.

EFC1878 - 3 Dec 2006 11:50
One of the best range of beers in Greater Manchester (they even brew their own Porter's range). The food is reasonably priced. The only draw back that springs to mind is that there are no children allowed, not even in the beer garden.
Report this for removal

bar.jpg

05bc9aac92e6f1fa9a759de5e18d76ca.jpg

This is a real example of a UK local pub selling real ale. :rockin:

I waned to visit this one just 2 minutes away but I was driving and it was pointless is I couldn't sample.

06ea4a7ba83cb4d99f1b07b568e1b794.jpg

Sensationally good pub which is an absolute must whenever I’m up North; only discovered its delights this year, but 16 real ales from local independents and micros, plus ciders, make it so. A friendly welcome at the airy bar with windows giving on to the street, classic (and classy) rooms off the bar, a beer garden almost literally beneath the adjacent viaduct (which I heard is europe’s longest continuous brick structure?). Beers are pulled thru as ordered, so nice & fresh; why oh why do I always forget to allow an extra day for Stockport session before heading back south?

Yes I did get to the hills and I did get to the HBS.

Lunch Was.

mars511c.jpg

and
262490705_62c6d7d0a7.jpg

From the HBS I got a couple of packs of yeast, some chocolate malt and some fuggles. We had a chat about oven mashing and roasting my own speciality malts.

Not a bad day out.

Wow, I really need to get my arse to England. SWMBO and I went to an "English Pub" in downtown Richmond the other day, I've been wanting to go for a while now. The Owner is from England so I wonder how authentic it actually is.

Cannot remember what I ate, but it was basically ground beef and gravy covered with mashed potatos and peas--very good.

EDIT: It's called Penny Lanes'.

orfy said:
It just so happens that half way on route is the only good HBS around.
I meant to ask Orfy - which HBS do you use? There's a pleasant but basic one near me in Sheffield, but if there was a better one a little further afield, I think it'd be worth the trip.

Wow, I see what you mean - that drive would be worth doing even without the beer shop at the end.

Thanks for the tip :mug:

Man, oh man, oh man! That pic of the tap selection had me wanting to belly up to the bar! Great pics, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go over there badly!

Back