Always Ahead of Myself (Kegging)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm the type of person who wants and likes to know everything about a subject before they ever get close to being able to enjoy said subject. Example: Read a bunch about brewing months before starting. Read a bunch about PM and AG before brewing PM or AG.

Now is the time for me to learn about kegging as I REALLY am getting tired of bottling and am trying to convince my brew lovers (family & friends) to support my want to keg. Each time it's "what do you need?" "How much is that going to be?" "Well you better come up with the money". Of course it doesn't bother them that i'm tired of bottling, they don't have to do the work but they enjoy just as much of the beer as I do so it's only fair that they should pony some of the cost (which they will).

I have a fridge that should fit 6 Ball Lock Corny Kegs, I measured and it should fit 2 deep 3 wide, with room left above it for bottles. What I want is a good system, no half assing it and slowly building up, if i do it i'm doing it right. I want a 20lb CO2 tank (big family = lots of brewing) from there I want to hook into a CO2 distributor w/ shut-off valve with the integral check valve. Then to the kegs. From there to taps installed in the door of my fridge (well freezer really), with drip tray (of course).

Questions:
1) Does this sound ok?
2) Would building my own Distributor be cheaper?
3) I will want to regulate different CO2 levels per keg, can regulators be hooked into the system after the distributor? (I'm thinking yes just need verification)
4) Would it be better to just stick the CO2 in the fridge (either on the door or in place of a keg) and use just regulators?
5) Beer lines, What sizes do i need for gas/liquid? What lengths work best with what sizes?
6) Faucets, what's the most durable best delivering faucets?
7) What is least amount I can expect to pay for all this? (including all the small things)

I think that's it for now.

DeadYetiBrew said:
Ok, so I'm the type of person who wants and likes to know everything about a subject before they ever get close to being able to enjoy said subject. Example: Read a bunch about brewing months before starting. Read a bunch about PM and AG before brewing PM or AG

That's why I joined HBT in December of 2005, but didn't start brewing until June of 2007!

I just lurked for a long time, reading posts and barely posting at all. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back