Cheap (or free) and quick drill mounted aerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taulpepper

Reaction score
One day I'll use an oxygen tank or maybe shake a carboy to aerate my wort, but for now I'm fermenting in a bucket and using a drill mounted aerator which seems to work well. They sell drill mounted aerators (a.k.a. wine degassers) for $20-30. Plastic paint mixers are cheaper but may not be food grade plastic, if you care about that.

I made one from one of those cheap white plastic mash paddles which I already owned and which I assume many homebrewers also already own. They're like $5-8 at the LHBS. You just need the mash paddle, a paddle drill bit (funnily has the same name), and some tape. I these three things around so it was free, though I did buy these things earlier.

The mash paddle has a flat end as does the paddle bit, so they stay together very easily.

I realize it is pretty ghetto, but it seems to work as well as any of the other drill mounted tools I've seen. I didn't take any pictures of it in action, but it got my wort very foamy when I tried it on my last batch. I used two packets of dry yeast and it was bubbling like crazy, about once every second or two, about 2 hours after pitching.

Paddle bit & flat end of mash paddle:
aerator1_zps5144a1b1.jpg

Tape the drill bit to the mash paddle and voila. I used duct tape, and it worked great. Remove when you're done and you can use the paddle again next time. If the tape leaves adhesive residue, WD-40 works well to clean it off.

aerator2_zpseded867a.jpg

Nice. I'll have to measure the shaft diameter of my paddle, if it will fit my drill chuck I'll just cut the hanging tab off and be able to chuck it directly.

Good plan.
I use a paint mixer like he had mentioned, but I bought a cheap metal one and don't worry about food grade plastic.
Maybe some day soon I'll have an oxygen system.

Back