Effects of Freezing Beer in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted earlier how I had a problem with my kegerator's thermostat. To summarize, I have a corny in there and a shelf I built. The beer on the bottom had no problem, but the beer on the top shelf froze and most of it exploded since the top shelf is right next to the cooling unit.

I first noticed the problem because I went to pour a beer from the tap and only a few drops came out. I figured that the keg was kicked so I disconnected it and pulled it out. This is when I noticed the frozen beers. The keg sat out in my basement for a few days before I reconnected it. I "fixed" the fridge by hooking it up to an old school timer which turns it on for roughly 15 minutes of every hour. After a couple of days, and before I put it back in, I did give the keg a slight shake just to see if there was anything in it.

Now, the beer in the bottles that didn't explode tastes fine, but the beer in the keg tastes odd. It's a California Common and it tastes slightly more bitter than before and unconditioned. You know, that period after primary in which the maltiness and bitterness haven't quite melded yet.

Anyone else ever noticed this?

Hi!

I've frozen 2 kegs before I discovered a bad fridge (got rid of the fridge, compressor was bad).
I let them thaw for a few days and put them in a different fridge and they turned out fine.
So don't worry, let them thaw and check the carbonation, if they lost carbonation (and they will) re carbonate and enjoy! :)

Clayton

Back